Food batchmakers can work in a large manufacturing or a small artisanal setting to operate equipment for the purpose of mixing, creating and preparing food products. A person in this position would need to follow recipes to incorporate ingredients according to strict food safety and quality standards.
In your food batchmaker job description, you should focus on what skills a qualified candidate should possess. Detail the responsibilities that go along with food safety and preparation as well as the technical knowledge needed to operate and maintain commercial or industrial kitchen equipment. A skilled food batchmaker should also be able to work well with others as a team player.
You want an employee with a commitment to excellence and responsibility to work with your team. To find that person, you should follow our food batchmaker job description template to get ideas about crafting a great post for your open position.
Food Batchmaker Job Summary
Are you a detail-oriented person who enjoys working with your hands? Do you have a passion for making great food for consumers to enjoy at home? If this sounds like you, you should apply for this food batchmaker position. You can learn and master artisanal small-batch food preparation and production on the job with a team of dedicated batchmakers in a fun, food culture environment. You will be responsible for equipment safety, maintenance and simple repairs in addition to food preparation, according to a guarded recipe and proprietary technique. There is excellent opportunity for skill development and advancement within the company. We want to grow our team with people who are enthusiastic about our products and the artisanal food movement.
- Read and follow batch cards with specific preparation and ingredient requirements in addition to other technical information for consistency and adherence to food safety regulations
- Measure, combine and distribute ingredients according to patented formula for consistency in taste, safety and branding
- Inspect food batch production for quality and identify any errors or problems on line, reporting directly to supervisory staff immediately
- Operate and monitor equipment used in food preparation for proper function as well as record and report any malfunctions or other complications
- Select and test in-production samples and provide relevant information to quality assurance department for further testing
- Attend any work-safety, manufacturing or other department meetings on monthly and as-needed basis for process review
- Provide team support and additional mentoring to novice and apprentice-level team members to assist in skills development and training
- Clean and sanitize station daily at start and end of shift and assist team in maintaining exemplary cleanliness and safety practices
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- Able to train on-the-job in every stage of production
- Physical requirements include standing for up to four hours at a time and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Previous experience in similar field
- Proficiency in math operational skills, including ratios and percentages
Food Batchmaker Job Responsibilities
Write a comprehensive yet concise food batchmaker job description to get the best candidates to apply for an open position. As the most substantial part of the description, an accurate job responsibilities section can save time for applicants, hiring managers and human resources teams by reducing the number of unqualified applicants.
Spend time determining what functions of the position are the most important for business needs. The list of food batchmaker job responsibilities does not need to include every task. Focus on the core duties of the position, and use 6-8 bullet points to list the priorities. Use action verbs at the beginning of each sentence to draw the candidate into a typical day on the job.
Read this example list to gain insight for writing your food batchmaker job description:
- Prepare and mix large batches of foods based on established recipes
- Clean and sanitize the food preparation and storage areas with safety as a priority
- Test the quality of the batches to ensure high quality and consistent portion size
- Report any leaks or machine defects to management
- Communicate any changes in production workflow to colleagues and management
- Control levers, switches and valves for discharge pipes, extruders and other equipment
Food Batchmaker Job Specifications
The job qualifications and skills section lists any necessary food batchmaker job specifications an applicant should have to fulfill the job responsibilities. Draw attention to any preferred skills or desired experience at a particular type of facility. To get the best perspective about the daily routine for the role, it helps to set up a meeting with a direct manager and an experienced food batchmaker. Translate the meeting notes into a list of clear bullet points. A correct food batchmaker job description with accurate list of requirements can deter candidates who do not meet the requirements from applying to the job. If the position requires an educational background, technical training or certifications, then add those to the list. Include any information about physical or communication skills necessary to complete the duties.
Utilize this example list to generate and modify your own food batchmaker job description:
- At least 2 years of experience as a food batchmaker
- Up-to-date food safety certifications preferred
- Ability to use arithmetic to interpret recipe measurements
- High attention to detail when handling large equipment
- Excellent communication skills and the capacity to communicate with line managers, colleagues and other staff
- Comfort with physical activity that includes standing, bending and walking for long periods of time