Food preparation workers provide a valuable service to restaurant kitchen staffs by ensuring that all foods are ready to be cooked at the precise moment customers order them. Such workers will often perform these tasks before peak dining hours, slicing meats, washing fruits and vegetables as well as preparing wines, coffee and other drink selections.
While no formal education is needed to perform this role, you’ll notice that the food preparation worker job description template shows that the ideal candidate should still possess certain skills, namely a familiarity with commercial kitchens and proper food handling techniques. He or she should also have good retentive memory.
As food prep workers also spend a good deal of time on their feet, those in such positions should demonstrate good physical endurance. The food preparation worker job description template shown below should give a good idea of the position’s requisite skills and experience.
Food Preparation Worker Job Summary
Working as a food preparation worker for our staff allows you the thrilling experience of getting an up-close view of how a professional kitchen operates. If you’re interested in a career in the culinary arts, this position can be a great stepping stone. You’ll gain valuable skills, experience and insight while also serving as member of well-functioning team aimed at working as one in order to exceed the expectations of our customers. You can watch firsthand as our highly-skilled team of professional chefs prepares dishes in keeping with classical French cuisine, as well as how our wait staff composes meals using a working knowledge of ideal side dish and wine pairings. This position is a valuable member of our kitchen crew and reports directly to our executive chef.
- Prepare fruits, vegetables, meats, doughs, marinades and seasonings for the chefs and line cooks in advance of daily peak dining hours
- Consult both standard stocking requirements as well as pick lists prepared by executive chef to pull items from cold storage to thaw before preparation
- Thoroughly sanitize all kitchen surfaces as well as tools and utensils, and wash and clean all food prior to preparation
- Document all items pulled from storage into the preparation area, detailing any foods and/or liquids (i.e., oils and marinades) that end up going to waste
- Follow the instruction of the executive chef as to the use of leftover food items prepared in excess of daily requirements
- Coordinate with wait staff to determine diner volumes in order to anticipate if and when more prep work needs to be done to accommodate increased demands
- Assist chefs with the preparation of dishes (including retrieving and preparing items for special orders) as needed
- Adhere to the cleaning and equipment breakdown schedules assigned by the executive chef at the end of every shift
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Must obtain food handlers permit within three months of hire
- Must be able to lift at least 20 pounds
- Must demonstrate ability to operate kitchen equipment safely and effectively
- Must have good physical endurance
- Prior professional kitchen experience
- Demonstrated inventory management
- Spreadsheet and database development proficiency
Creating a well-composed food preparation worker job description is only the first step towards landing that ideal candidate. Once you have your posting, the trick then becomes getting it in front of as many eyes as possible in order to improve your chances of building a qualified pool of job candidates. Online job boards are a good place to start, as well as is your company’s website and Facebook page. You may also want to consider dropping off your listing at local technical schools that offer culinary classes.
The aforementioned steps take time, and more may still be needed to generate the interest you’re hoping for. Consider how far your listing can go if it’s able to post to hundreds of sites at once. Services like those offered by MightyRecruiter allow you to post to free job boards instantly, ensuring that your search gets all the exposure it needs.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter