Hiring great people for a manufacturing company starts with an effective food processing worker job description. Food processing workers work with specialized equipment in food production. They use ingredients from a recipe to make large batches of a food brand’s products, and they also monitor industrial kitchen equipment.
For most food production jobs, no formal education is required, but many companies will only hire a candidate with at least a high school diploma. Work in this field requires detailed training on the operation of equipment. Most companies are able to train candidates once they are hired.
Food processing workers need a good amount of strength to be able to lift heavy materials and work with equipment. Most of their day is spent on their feet, so they must have stamina and coordination as well. Below, you can see a good food processing worker job description template for reference.
Food Processing Worker Job Summary
Our company is looking for highly dependable team players to join our staff as food processing workers. If you’ve always been fascinated with the process of industrial food products and are committed to supporting our brand’s reputation for excellent snack products, then this is the place for you. Food processing workers are responsible for working in the food production line and load ingredients into industrial baking equipment. They also monitor the machinery during the cooking and mixing process to make sure our product quality standards are being met. We offer attractive pay and unlimited snack samples to our workers, so consider joining us today!
- Monitor food cooking machines and make adjustments to the controls for devices such as boilers, ovens, fryers and cookers
- Program kitchen equipment to operate according to company and recipe standards and make changes to cooking temperature and time
- React to any type of alarms or malfunctions of the equipment and operate the shut-off switch when necessary
- Load raw ingredients into the cooking machine and measure the amount needed by following company recipes and industry standards
- Comprehend written instructions and recipes from the company when putting together ingredients and starting a new batch of products
- Remove the finished product from the production line and push batches to the next step of the process for packaging
- Verify that each finished item meets the quality standards of the company by observing the size, shape and luster of each snack item
- Sanitize all materials and machinery parts at the end of each shift and clean the workspace at the worker station by following company cleanliness standards
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Completion of a high school diploma or GED program
- Ability to follow all appropriate safety standards in food production
- Knowledge of basic math and reading comprehension skills
- Experience working in food production or in an industrial kitchen
- Knowledge of quality assurance practices
Food Processing Worker Job Responsibilities
The listing of responsibilities in a food processing worker job description can be a major deciding factor for jobseekers. You should accurately portray the basic duties of this position as well as any important specifics regarding food products or processing methods. The time you devote to this relatively detailed job responsibilities section can help to ensure that applicants are well aware of the nature of the position.
This section of a food processing worker job description should be as easy to read as possible. Start by breaking down the responsibilities for this position into a list structured with bullet points. Prioritize the most important duties and try to keep the number listed to eight or less to avoid overwhelming prospective applicants. Make sure that each list item addresses a specific task by starting every line with a unique action verb.
Refer to the following examples of food processing worker job responsibilities:
- Maintain a clean and sterile environment for food preparation, processing, storage and packaging
- Record production and test data for batches of food and share information with team members
- Set up, operate and clean manual and electric professional food preparation and processing equipment
- Regularly check temperatures of cold and hot holds and mixing chambers or equipment
- Homogenize or pasteurize sensitive products using appropriate devices
Food Processing Worker Job Specifications
The list of specifications on a food processing worker job description will likely be shorter than the list of job responsibilities, but this section is just as important. By providing prospective applicants with a clear sense of the minimum requirements for a position, these specifications can encourage a high degree of self-selection.
In this job qualifications and skills section, you can identify necessary specifications and desirable abilities or experience. It is generally a good idea to differentiate between these levels of requirements by breaking up this list into minimum and preferred qualifications. Jobseekers can first determine whether they meet the basic requirements for an open position and then move on to see which optional qualifications they might also be able to emphasize on their resumes.
You may want to consult with management in order to get a detailed sense of the background and training that is most likely to prepare a food processing worker for success. This can help to ensure that this important section of your food processing worker job description attracts the best candidates for this position.
Consider including these or similar food processing worker job specifications in your description:
- Current food handler’s license or equivalent safety certification
- Familiarity with large-scale food preparation equipment and techniques
- Ability to monitor and notate temperature and other important status readings
- At least 6 months of food processing experience or training preferred