Foreign language teachers are responsible for teaching students a new language. This can be any language other than English, including American Sign Language. Depending on the exact institution, the teacher may only be responsible for leading classroom activities. However, if the teacher is at a postsecondary institution, research may also be entailed.
Your foreign language teacher job description should stress the importance of being an expert in the grammar, composition and pronunciation of the language in question. Knowledge of the history of the culture where the language comes from is also beneficial.
Communication and interpersonal skills will be advantageous regardless of the language being taught. If you are ever uncertain of how to proceed with your own foreign language teacher job description, then you should read the one provided below for ideas.
Foreign Language Teacher Job Summary
Does your passion involve molding the minds of the next generation to give them the tools to succeed? Are you a natural problem solver who loves engaging with other minds about a new culture? We are currently seeking a full-time foreign language teacher who can effectively teach high school students Spanish. This is an excellent opportunity for a person with the proper credentials who is comfortable leading large classrooms and meeting with students one-on-one. You will be responsible for creating a safe environment for students so they feel relaxed getting out of their comfort zones. If you feel you’re a solid candidate, apply for this position today.
- Prepare lectures to deliver to high school students about basic principles of the Spanish language as well as information related to Spanish culture
- Develop course materials for students to complete in the classroom and in their free time, which includes handouts, essays and additional homework assignments
- Evaluate students’ performances, including grading homework assignments and making note of how well students participate in discussions
- Establish consistent office hours at least twice a week so students can meet with you outside standard school hours
- Participate in schoolwide activities, such as workshops and special events to recruit new students for the upcoming school year
- Act as an advisor for student clubs, which can entail the Spanish club, but could also extend to other organizations as you see fit
- Speak with students’ parents to inform them of their child’s progress in the classroom
- Collaborate with other teachers to develop school-wide policies and create an overall better learning environment
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in a foreign language
- Certification to teach in the state
- Ability to lead a classroom
- Ability to make each student feel safe
- Prior experience teaching in a classroom
Perfecting the art of writing job description can be tough. However, once you nail it, it will become much simpler writing future listings that adequately go over the requirements of the position. Once your foreign language teacher job description is ready, you also need to post it far and wide.
Numerous valuable platforms exist for you to promote your open position. Social media is a great resource because you already have a lot of people following you who can also spread the word you need a new teacher. Your institution’s website can also be utilized, and you can provide a link on the front page to the job description. You can also benefit a great deal from MightyRecruiter, which is a free tool you can use to post jobs for free on hundreds of job boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter