Front end developers design and create websites, particularly their look and aesthetic. They are mostly concerned with how a website appears in a browser and use design, code and debugging applications. In addition, they oversee website performance and capacity, such as loading speed and traffic capacity.
When itemizing skills in a front end developer job description, note that the candidate should have a background in web design, computer science or programming. The level of education required varies from high school diploma to bachelor’s degree, but the emphasis should be placed more on the candidate’s skills and creativity.
Front end developers implement or create website content and graphics. They may also integrate websites with other applications. They convert textual, graphic, video and audio components to appropriate web formats using software. Read the front end developer job description below for an idea of what should be included in the job posting.
Front End Developer Job Summary
Does working on websites excite you? Are you a skilled web professional with a passion for the internet? We are at the forefront of next-generation technology development, and we have a place for you. We currently have an opening for a front end developer that allows you to use your creative talents in our dynamic, fast-paced environment to improve and keep up our website properties, from layout to function. You’ll have the opportunity to become a high-impact contributor and interface with different departments on various web projects. Join our team and we’ll reward your hard work with an excellent culture, great benefits and competitive pay.
- Design, build and maintain websites using the appropriate coding and scripting languages, content management tools, and other related software applications
- Write, design or edit web page content, perform website updates as needed and write code for websites or web applications
- Work with management, development, information technology, marketing, product development and other stakeholders to prioritize project needs, develop content, select solutions and resolve conflicts
- Ensure the code is valid, properly structured and compatible with multiple browsers, mobile devices and operating systems
- Identify issues discovered by testing and feedback from internal and external clients, and correct problems or refer them to the appropriate teams for resolution
- Collaborate with teams on website plans, such as budgets, performance requirements, equipment or legal issues, including privacy and accessibility
- Document style guidelines for website content and implement procedures for ongoing website revision and maintenance
- Communicate with information technology or network staff and any external website hosting services to address software or hardware issues that are affecting website performance and availability
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Strong people and customer service skills
- Great attention to detail
- Associate’s degree or higher in web design or related field
- Project management skills
Front End Developer Job Responsibilities
When writing the job responsibilities section of the front end developer job description, expect to spend time in this crucial area. Job candidates come to this section to learn details about the daily expectations of the position. Using clear and concise language is important to ensure that both the hiring managers and the candidates have the same understanding of the required duties and to limit confusion. This section also serves to filter jobseekers, decreasing the likelihood of receiving applications from too many unqualified candidates.
As previously mentioned, it’s best to use bullet points in the job responsibilities section of the front end developer job description. Keep to within 6-8 bullet points that feature the key duties and responsibilities of the position, beginning each with a strong action verb. Bullet points are easier for everyone to read than lengthy, overwhelming paragraphs where the information may become hidden and less obvious. This helps readers scan through the posting quickly so that they can verify whether they have the necessary skills to handle the position.
Some sample Front End Developer job responsibilities may include
- Develop user interface features
- Translate mockups, designs and wireframes into high-quality code, ensuring their technical feasibility
- Create reusable code and libraries for future use, including unit and integration tests
- Collaborate with team members and stakeholders
- Optimize components for maximum performance across numerous web devices and browsers
Front End Developer Job Specifications
The skills and qualifications section of the front end developer job description helps job candidates comprehend the minimum requirements for the position. This may be easy to write but it is highly important for all parties involved. Discuss the specifications with senior management and hiring managers to ensure posting of the most essential ones. While the job responsibilities section helps eliminate applicants who don’t feel qualified to perform certain tasks, this section will remove candidates who lack the education, work experience, and other skills needed for the position.
These preliminary exclusions will reduce the number of applications you receive from overqualified and underqualified jobseekers and allow you more time to focus on a higher quality pool of qualified candidates. Be accurate and concise when writing the specifications so that both candidates and hiring managers will share the same understanding of the requirements.
Review these examples of front end developer job specifications to help you determine what to include in your front end developer job description: