The primary goal of fundraisers is to collect funds for use in an organization or cause. Fundraisers may work in more specialized areas, such as only working one-on-one with large donors or only working in planning and coordinating events meant to raise money.
Because of the people-focused aspect of a fundraiser’s job, they need to be fantastic communicators and have the ability to grasp what’s important to potential donors so the fundraiser can successfully communicate to them the benefit of donating. Because of this, majors in journalism, communications and related areas may be helpful, though they don’t necessarily have to be listed as required in a fundraiser job description.
Some personality traits that are beneficial for fundraisers include leadership skills and organizational abilities. The example given here is a good place to start when building out your fundraiser job description
Fundraiser Job Summary
What if you could go to your place of employment every day with a renewed sense of purpose and direction, confident in the knowledge that the work you do contributes to the greater good? When you work with us as a fundraiser, this could be your life. Grow to understand our potential donor pool and hold a vital role in planning events and coordinating other activities to encourage donations and help us move toward our goal of helping improve the people’s lives. Work on a close-knit, enthusiastic team under the direction of a visionary fundraising director to meet and exceed fundraising goals. Stretch and improve your communication and leadership skills and organizational capabilities in this pivotal role.
- Raise funds for our cause and regularly meet or surpass fundraising targets
- Research potential donors to gain insight into needs, beliefs and donation habits to understand how to position our organization to them
- Assist in brainstorming and creating new methods to raise funds for our organization
- Leverage technology and social media where possible to improve fundraising activities
- Assist in planning and coordinating events meant to raise funds and coordinate activities of volunteers and interns related to event planning and execution
- Create marketing materials, like flyers and brochures, to be used for the promotion of events and other fundraising pushes
- Analyze the performance of events and other fundraising activities for effectiveness and to identify areas where money can be saved
- Maintain complete and orderly records of donors and manage regular donor communications
- Build upon existing donor relationships and form new donor relationships on a regular basis
- Collaborate with other organizations and groups within the community to build partnerships and enhance fundraising activities
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- Exemplary communication abilities and outgoing, yet poised personality
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent organizational abilities and attention to detail
- At least one year of fundraising experience
- Quick thinker and ability to make decisions under pressure
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, public relations, journalism or related/applicable area
- Minimum two years of fundraising experience, in addition to managerial experience
After you’ve written the last word of your fundraiser job description and hit save, there’s still more that needs to be done to connect with the all-star, qualified candidates your organization needs. Promotion, the act of posting your job description in the right place at the right time, is the key to filling open positions and achieving your company goals.
There are so many ways to publicize a job description, including social media, email and job boards, that it can seem overwhelming. Still, don’t neglect those online job boards, as many people use them to find jobs. Use MightyRecruiter to post to free job boards and get your job description sent to hundreds of digital locations at once, increasing your chances of catching that perfect candidate’s eye.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter