Funeral attendants assist with the preparation of funeral services and help during the services. They may set up the casket, including arranging flowers and lights. During the service, attendants may greet mourners and help with seating. They may be in charge of storing, moving and arranging equipment and items used during funerals.
In creating your funeral attendant job description, you should mention the importance of a caring and supportive attitude. An attendant needs to be able to work closely with people who are going through the grieving process and understand how to properly assist them with their funeral planning needs.
Attendants also need to be comfortable working with and around the deceased. Use the following example as a guide to assist you with creating your funeral attendant job description.
Funeral Attendant Job Summary
Work under the supervision of an experienced funeral director to help grieving families give their loved ones a final goodbye that is dignified and respectful. We strive to always put a professional edge on our services while also being caring and helpful. You will work with a small team to prepare and conduct funeral services in our newly-remodeled parlor. You should be comfortable working directly with clients and family members of the deceased. If you want to help people in a time of need, this may be the job for you. We want to help you grow your career in the funeral services field, so we do offer plenty of opportunities for advancement.
- Provide transportation for clients and their loved ones to and from the coroner, funeral parlor and grave yard
- Prepare the parlor area by cleaning, setting up lights and arranging flowers and setting up chairs and other seating for viewings and services
- Assist guests as they arrive at funeral events by directing parking, greeting them and leading them to the correct parlor or chapel area
- Answer questions and offer assistance to clients in coordination with the funeral director to help arrange funeral services
- Work with a team to prepare parlor and burial sites with personalized items as requested by clients
- Clean, store and move funeral equipment as needed to set up and clean up after funeral services
- Answer phone calls and set up meetings for the funeral director, answer general questions about the funeral parlor and services offered and assist director with making legal and other administrative arrangements for scheduled funerals
- Perform embalming and other body preparation tasks under the direct supervision of the funeral director
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- Ability to lift at least 75 pounds
- Valid driver’s license
- Available to work nights, weekends, holidays and to be on call
- Must have an attention to detail and excellent communication skills
- A desire to advance in the field of mortuary science
- Experience working in customer service
- Fluent in Spanish
Writing a professional and clear funeral attendant job description is just the beginning to finding the perfect candidate for the job. You now need to make sure that your description is seen by the right people. You want to start with putting it on your website and social media pages. After that, make sure you get it posted to job boards.
Job boards are designed specifically to help people find the right jobs, so they are an ideal place to put your job ad. However, there are hundreds of boards and trying to post to each one can be a daunting task. Make things easier on yourself by using MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free on all these boards at the same time.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter