General laborers perform the frontline tasks in construction, manufacturing and industrial settings. They typically work in teams with clearly defined workflows and objectives. Often, their work is repetitive, such as performing the same task as part of a production process. Other times, they may move from task to task until a project is completed. Management will often consult with them in order determine a company’s production capacity.
The general labor job description template provided here will help you see what sort of skills candidates should bring to this position. An established knowledge of general construction or fabrication processes is helpful, as is a familiarity with the tools of such trades.
Those performing general labor should also understand the safety regulations of the industries in which they work. Read through the general labor job description several times to get a feel for what knowledge and work experience you should list in yours.
General Labor Job Summary
If you enjoy getting your hands dirty as part of your job, then we have the ideal position for you. Our contracting company is looking for skilled laborers to join up with our construction teams in building new commercial developments. This job will give you the chance to put all of your construction skills and know-how to the ultimate test. Under the direction of our crew foreman, you’ll assist in prepping sites for development, supporting foundational work, coordinating with utility providers and erecting new structures. Not only will your skills provide a great benefit to our team, but we’ll also provide you with the opportunity to bolster them by working with others within our organization as well as external service providers, while simultaneously establishing networking relationships.
- Serve as a member of our commercial construction team, performing a wide range of general contracting services
- Coordinate with site developers to prepare designated plots for construction, surveying land, taking measurements, estimating permit needs and providing information for supply and material orders
- Participate in the excavation of materials in preparation for the foundational work for new structures
- Assist utility providers by digging trenches for cables and pipes as well as connecting extensions to nearby utility lines
- Collaborate with company front-office personnel to arrange for the delivery of construction materials to job sites, and assist with the unloading and storage of such supplies once they arrive
- Execute various tasks given by the site foreman in a predetermined amount of time as part of the overall development plan
- Answer the questions of city inspectors and site owners regarding the progress of your projects when inspections and assessments are conducted
- Make yourself available to provide support to others’ tasks involved with your building projects as needed
- Participate in the final walkthrough and inspection of newly erected structures
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must demonstrate a familiarity with power tools and other building equipment
- Able to work in potentially harsh conditions
- Must be able to safely lift at least 20 pounds
- Previous experience in commercial or residential construction
- Understanding of job site safety regulations
- Access to your own set of tools
General Labor Job Responsibilities
There are many things to keep in mind when hiring general laborers for your company. There are different types of labor, some with crossover and some without, so it is important to have a clear idea of what it is you are after. To appeal to the right jobseekers, you need to be clear on the responsibilities in your general labor job description. This will make it easier to avoid hiring someone unfit for the job, but it also helps you avoid hiring someone over-qualified as well. You do not want to hire someone who will bring everyone else down because he or she is unhappy, or who is likely to get frustrated and quit.
Avoid this by verifying that the tasks you list in your general labor job description give an accurate idea of what the jobseeker can expect. Avoid flowering the general labor job responsibilities section with words like “strategic,” which tends to imply a certain aspect to the job. You do not want to give the impression that your general laborers might need to plan detailed projects when they will most likely be the ones carrying out those plans.
Here are some examples of useful responsibilities you might include:
- Move materials to and from storage or production areas and loading docks
- Control traffic around work zones by putting up cones and signs and/or signaling to oncoming traffic
- Operate tools and heavy machinery safely and effectively
- Assemble, repair or install any necessary components
General Labor Job Specifications
Typically speaking, most general labor positions are fairly introductory, meaning they will not require a lot of prior experience or extensive education. If for any reason your company does need someone a little more advanced in either or both of those particular areas, make sure you are very clear on that in the general labor job specifications. Usually, the most you will need is a general knowledge or skill-base in your workers, with requirements for some amount of on-the-job training.
Ensure there are plenty of words within your general labor job description that will maximize search engine optimization, or SEO, to get the attention you need to hire enough workers. You can easily maintain this throughout the entire job posting, but the skills and qualifications section is an excellent place to throw more of those in. You want to keep these relatively simple and easy to understand, but adding a few keywords into the descriptions can both better illustrate the job requirements and make your general labor job description more visible to more people.
Find some examples of skills and qualifications for general labor listed below:
- Knowledge of building and construction materials
- Expertise with machines and tools
- Experience with maintaining and repairing equipment or ability and willingness to learn
- Excellent communication skills