General laborers perform the frontline tasks in construction, manufacturing and industrial settings. They typically work in teams with clearly defined workflows and objectives. Often, their work is repetitive, such as performing the same task as part of a production process. Other times, they may move from task to task until a project is completed. Management will often consult with them in order determine a company’s production capacity.
The general labor job description template provided here will help you see what sort of skills candidates should bring to this position. An established knowledge of general construction or fabrication processes is helpful, as is a familiarity with the tools of such trades.
Those performing general labor should also understand the safety regulations of the industries in which they work. Read through the general labor job description several times to get a feel for what knowledge and work experience you should list in yours.
General Labor Job Summary
If you enjoy getting your hands dirty as part of your job, then we have the ideal position for you. Our contracting company is looking for skilled laborers to join up with our construction teams in building new commercial developments. This job will give you the chance to put all of your construction skills and know-how to the ultimate test. Under the direction of our crew foreman, you’ll assist in prepping sites for development, supporting foundational work, coordinating with utility providers and erecting new structures. Not only will your skills provide a great benefit to our team, but we’ll also provide you with the opportunity to bolster them by working with others within our organization as well as external service providers, while simultaneously establishing networking relationships.
- Serve as a member of our commercial construction team, performing a wide range of general contracting services
- Coordinate with site developers to prepare designated plots for construction, surveying land, taking measurements, estimating permit needs and providing information for supply and material orders
- Participate in the excavation of materials in preparation for the foundational work for new structures
- Assist utility providers by digging trenches for cables and pipes as well as connecting extensions to nearby utility lines
- Collaborate with company front-office personnel to arrange for the delivery of construction materials to job sites, and assist with the unloading and storage of such supplies once they arrive
- Execute various tasks given by the site foreman in a predetermined amount of time as part of the overall development plan
- Answer the questions of city inspectors and site owners regarding the progress of your projects when inspections and assessments are conducted
- Make yourself available to provide support to others’ tasks involved with your building projects as needed
- Participate in the final walkthrough and inspection of newly erected structures
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must demonstrate a familiarity with power tools and other building equipment
- Able to work in potentially harsh conditions
- Must be able to safely lift at least 20 pounds
- Previous experience in commercial or residential construction
- Understanding of job site safety regulations
- Access to your own set of tools
The general labor job description template given here shows you the framework to use when creating your job listing. Once that listing is complete, you need to find the best methods of advertising it to potential candidates. As general labor likely involves some degree of on-the-job training, working with a local community job placement program may net you a number of applicants willing to quickly learn the skills required for your position.
One way to reach candidates who might already have the experience and knowledge needed to step right in and perform your job effectively is to post your listing on online job boards. These sites are accessed by working professionals looking for new opportunities all the time. Working with services such as MightyRecruiter can get you easy access to several of these channels, many of which can save you money by offering free job listings.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter