General laborers are tasked with performing various types of manual labor on a worksite. They need to learn how to use a variety of hand and power tools as well as different pieces of machinery. General laborers are also the ones typically responsible for ensuring the worksite remains safe at all times by cleaning regularly.
Strength and stamina are arguably the most important qualities laborers need to have and that you need to state in your general laborer job description. They should be capable of spending hours at a time on their feet and lifting heavy items.
Mechanical skills are useful to have, and applicants who already know how to use the company’s tools will naturally have an advantage. However, most of the technical skills associated with this job can often be learned on site. Peruse through the general laborer job description template below to learn more.
General Laborer Job Summary
Are you interested in having a job where you can get your hands dirty while working as part of a fun team? Anyone who meets the physical requirements for this job is highly encouraged to apply to our company as our new general laborer. You will have an opportunity to learn how to use over 100 power tools and other equipment, so if you have always wanted to learn how to drive a forklift, then now is your chance. For anyone who already possesses that knowledge, that is all the better. This can be a rewarding career for the right person, with plenty of opportunity for upward mobility.
- Clean the construction site before the general crew is supposed to arrive, eliminating any debris that could pose potential hazards
- Control traffic that might be around the construction site by posting signs indicating people are working and redirecting any vehicles to side roads
- Unload materials from trucks and place them at the proper location on the site; distribute materials to contractors
- Perform numerous types of manual labor, including digging trenches to lay down piping and mixing concrete inside a portable cement mixer
- Maintain all pieces of equipment by routinely inspecting machinery, conducting repairs and ordering replacements when necessary
- Provide any assistance to the contractors when asked
- Conduct inspections once a project is complete and walk through the premises of the construction site to ensure everything meets the desired specifications before showing it to the client
- Assist specialty craft workers, such as roofers and painters, with any tasks they might need
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to perform a variety of physical tasks
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Previous experience working on construction sites
- Understanding of and willingness to abide by all safety protocols
- Ability to pass a drug/background check
- High school education or equivalent
Chances are good there are plenty of people in your city who would make excellent general laborers. However, they are not going to apply for your open position if they cannot even find your general laborer job description. Your goal to recruit effectively is to share it as many places as possible.
Employee referrals and social media are great places to start when you want to inform the community of the new position you have. One of the best places to advertise a job description that is often overlooked is online job boards. These websites are specifically crafted to make it easy for employees to view job listings. You can make easier to get your description out by using MightyRecruiter to post to free job boards with ease.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter