General practitioners are medical doctors who provide nonsurgical medical care for a wide range of health issues. Mostly serving the adult population, general practitioners evaluate patients through exams and tests and diagnose conditions such as diseases or injuries. They provide treatment or referrals to an appropriate medical specialist. General practitioners prescribe medications and therapies as well as provide patients with information on preventative healthcare, including proper diet and exercise.
When writing your general practitioner job description, include the importance of excellent communication with patients, families and work colleagues in your job summary. Good communication makes a difference between a patient following directions and getting well and a patient not understanding the treatment and getting sicker as a result.
Patience and quick problem-solving skills are also needed in the position of a general practitioner. Take a look at this general practitioner job description for ideas about how to write your own.
General Practitioner Job Summary
Leverage your broad medical knowledge and versatility in our clinic physician position for Community Clinic. We are looking for a caring and friendly general practitioner to serve in this role for one to two shifts per week. Perfect for an addition to your own practice, this position will mainly work during evenings and weekends. The perfect general practitioner is comfortable working as a team with ancillary staff and is willing to abide by Community Clinic’s standards and protocols. If you practice excellent communication and have a high level of detail orientation in a fast-paced clinic environment, this position is for you!
- Examine patients for illness or injury, plan and provide treatment in the form of medicines and therapies and refer them to specialist providers if necessary
- Conduct routine adult physicals as well as youth sports physicals
- Practice active listening and excellent communication skills with patients, their families and all staff, addressing patient concerns as the highest priority
- Document treatments on digital charting software, adhering to Community Clinic’s medical charting standards, including ongoing progress notes and test results
- Work with other physicians and supportive staff as a team in order to collaborate on diagnoses and perform procedures such as splinting broken bones, stabilizing a patient for hospital transport and wound suturing
- Provide education to patients and families regarding medical conditions and their treatment options as well as preventative care strategies of nutrition, exercise and hygiene
- Order laboratory tests such as white blood cell count, blood sugar and x rays and interpret test results
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Current MD licensure in this state
- National Medical Doctor Certification
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills, patience and empathy
- Experience in a direct care clinic setting
- Willingness to work two overnight shifts per month
Now that you have written your general practitioner job description, how do you get it out in front of high-quality medical doctors who are empathetic and organized enough to work in a busy clinic setting? The answer lies in targeting both active and passive job seekers.
Active seekers are scanning job boards because they are looking for a new position. Passive seekers are not looking, but when they see your job description, they become interested and may apply to the position as a way to work off some of their medical school loan balance. Use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free on boards that target both active and passive job seekers, and watch your list of job applicants grow!
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter