Geoscientists study the structure, composition and physical aspects of Earth. They use geology, physics and mathematics to examine planetary properties and explore for underground water, minerals, gas or oil, as well as applying scientific principles to help with waste disposal, land reclamation and other environmental challenges. There are specializations within this field, including seismologists, paleontologists, crystallographers and geodesists.
When you are listing skills for your geoscientist job description, you may want to emphasize that your ideal candidate will have strong mathematics and science skills, as well as knowledge of engineering, electronics and technology. Responsibilities of this role include using advanced equipment to gather data and accurately interpreting geological information.
Geoscientists also must have strong written and verbal abilities, as they have to prepare and present reports and findings to various populations. Review the geoscientist job description template below to better understand what to include in your own posting.
Geoscientist Job Summary
As a geoscientist with our mid-sized but close-knit team focused on helping clean up and mend the planet, you will be an integral part of our work and dedication to excellence. You will go into the field, using advanced equipment that you maintain and calibrate, to gather information from various locations. However, beyond data crunching, your observational and technical skills will be stretched to offer informed and compassionate professional judgement and insight regarding results from environmental sampling and hazardous material surveys. We approach our work with solid scientific principles as well as deep empathy with our living world. This position is a wonderful opportunity if you honor and respect nature and want to restore the health of our planet.
- Collect, analyze and interpret geological, geophysical and geochemical information from various sources, including survey data, bore holes, well logs and aerial photographs
- Plan and carry out geological, geophysical and geochemical field studies and surveys, testing and drilling programs and sample gathering as outlined by industry standards
- Create geological maps, charts, cross-sectional diagrams and reports about resource management, land use and mineral removal for the company’s use, as well as for public information
- Analyze and interpret geological data using computer software specific to geoscience
- Research, measure and track ground and surface water movement to gain informed conclusions, and offer advice about waste management, site and route selection and restoration of contaminated locations to both government and private organizations
- Research environmental, historical and technical topics from articles and reports for continued education and training
- Share geological research findings by writing reports and participating in conferences and meetings with the public as well as fellow geoscientists
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- One year of experience in soil evaluations and environmental research and consulting
- Strong communication and technical writing skills
- Willing to travel, both for overnight as well as extended trips
- Relevant OSHA training
- Desire to learn multiple disciplines for professional application
Using our geoscientist job description template to create your own winning write-up is the first step to attracting your ideal new hire. Once that is done, you must make sure to place your posting where the right people can see it. To accomplish this, you need to be resourceful.
Job boards are a favorite way to begin new employee searches because they work. They distribute your posting to many jobseekers without a lot of hassle on your part. However, do not overlook other great distribution methods. Your company website, for example, is an excellent way to get the word out to current employees. Other good ways to advertise include email referrals from current employees to potential job candidates and notices in magazines and newspapers. Get off to a good start by getting free job postings to hundreds of boards simultaneously with MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter