Glaziers install glass in windows, skylights and various fixtures in stores, commercial buildings, homes and vehicles. They follow blueprints and cut glass to specified sizes and shapes, and they remove old and broken glass before installing new panes. They also install sashes and moldings, fasten glass into frames and weather-proof panes with joint sealants.
In the skills section of your glazier job description, you may want to stress that prime candidates will be detail-oriented and possess physical strength and stamina, as they must work all day lifting large pieces of glass for hanging and hold glass in place until secured. Top applicants will also have good balance and hand-eye coordination, as they must precisely cut glass in the field.
Glaziers need good communication skills. They should also be courteous to create a positive customer experience. Review the example below for more insight on how to write a great glazier job description.
Glazier Job Summary
Are you a strong, hard worker who pays attention to details? If so, working as a glazier for our team may be the perfect employment for you. We need an educated and skilled glazier who has completed an apprenticeship program and who has both technical expertise and practical, on-the-job know-how. You will work full time with other team members and take jobsite responsibility for doing the work right and treating customers with courtesy and respect. Along the way, you will learn social and communication skills as well as sound work practices, all of which will serve you well in every area of your life.
- Set glass doors into frames and bolt metal hinges, locks, handles and other hardware to attach doors to frames and walls using a level
- Install pre-assembled wood or metal frameworks for doors and windows before glass panel installation using hand tools
- Cut, put together, measure or install metal frames and enclosures for glass panels in various areas and structures, including bathtubs, showers, display cases, solariums and skylights
- Read and understand blueprints and specifications to know necessary work details, including color, shape, size, type and thickness of glass to be installed, framing location, procedures for installation and any scaffolding or other staging items needed before beginning work
- Drive trucks to work locations and unload tools and equipment, and use suction cups or cranes to lift out glass panels
- Cut and remove old and broken glass before installing replacement glass
- Pack loose areas between glass panels and molding or frames with glazing compound, and trim excess material with a glazing knife
- Lift, hold and secure glass panels and mirrors into position with putty, cement, screws or bolts
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Know all OSHA construction jobsite requirements
- Know and understand building and construction methods, materials and tools
- Know and understand mathematics, including geometry, algebra, calculus and statistics, and their practical applications
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Effective critical thinker
- Able to teach others
When you are looking for the best possible candidates for your job opening, it is important to remember that creating an attractive and engaging glazier job description is only the first step. Next, you will need to make sure that the right people—the sort you want to hire—actually see your posting. To do this, think creatively to ensure you promote it across the right channels.
Posting your job description on job boards is a great way to spread the word, but people seek jobs in many other ways. Do not overlook your own company website, for example. Other good places to advertise include social networks and referral emails from your current employees to potential hires. To get started, post jobs for free to hundreds of job boards all at once with MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter