A grader is a construction equipment operator who works with heavy machinery in the construction of roads, buildings, bridges and more. He or she works in all types of weather and can get pretty dirty or greasy from the nature of the job, and some projects will require irregular hours, such as road building which is done at night. Be sure to note the working conditions when you write the grader job description.
After completing high school or earning an equivalent degree, graders and other equipment operators usually pick up skills while working on the job, which is similar to an apprenticeship. Some may learn job skills while attending a vocational school.
Generally, graders learn to operate a variety of construction equipment. To learn more about what graders do on the job and how to create a winning job posting, refer to the grader job description template that follows.
Grader Job Summary
When you were little, did you “play construction?” Did you love getting dirty and making roads and buildings with your dump trucks and bulldozers? We did, and we’re still loving it! But we don’t play anymore; we’re doing the real thing. If you’re still enthusiastic about building things, come be part of our team. We’re looking for someone who can grow with us, someone who stretches themselves and takes on new responsibilities. You might start out as a heavy equipment operator, but you could end up being the foreman or move into other areas of our construction business. The biggest requirements we have are a willingness to learn and to be a part of a team. We’ll throw in the part where you get paid to play in the dirt again.
- Operate equipment to avoid utility lines, equipment and other workers
- Adjust hand-wheels and pedals to control blade and bucket attachments, as well as scrapers and swing booms
- Coordinate machine actions to move and position loads; learn and follow both hand and audio signals from other crew members and know how to give signals to others
- Operate a variety of heavy equipment such as graders, trucks, power cranes and shovels to move rocks, dirt and other materials
- Maneuver equipment with attached blades in successive movements across work areas in order to move rocks, vegetation or topsoil and to spread and level terrain
- Operate bulldozers and tractors to clear land, mix sludge, trim backfills, and build roadways or parking lots; repair and maintain heavy equipment and make emergency adjustments as needed and aid in major repairs
- Operate snowplows and other equipment to remove debris and snow from roads and parking lots; operate loaders to rip asphalt, remove stumps, rough-grade land, bury refuse and perform general cleanup tasks
- Choose bulldozer blades and other attachments and connect them to tractors using hitches; connect hydraulic hoses, mechanical links, belts and more, including power takeoff shafts, with tractors
Job Skills and Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Teamwork attitude and extreme safety consciousness
- Full use of hands and feet to feel and control machine movements
- Ability to perform work in all weather conditions, including extreme heat and cold
- Moderate on-the-job experience
- Decision-making abilities to interpret plans and prevent costly mistakes
The hiring process begins with an appealing grader job description that creates an interest in your company. The next step is getting your job announcement seen by the right candidates, and that means posting it to a variety of job boards. Don’t rely on just a few boards; today’s job candidates comb over an average of 17 websites looking for the right job.
Some of the best referrals come from employees, so ask the entire staff to consider posting the job announcement on their own sites. Don’t forget to put it on the company’s career page, as well as to any social media sites you use. Save yourself some time and post jobs for free to hundreds of sites at once with MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter