Groundskeeping workers make sure that the landscapes outside homes and public buildings are kept in good order for the health of the vegetation and the attractiveness of the environment. They complete a variety of tasks for landscape upkeep according to the season.
When you write your groundskeeping worker job description, you will want to point out the physical stamina needed to carry out the job. A groundskeeping worker will be standing most of the day and performing tasks that will have them bending, lifting, pushing and pulling. There is frequent exposure to the sun, rain and perhaps snow.
Groundskeeping workers must also be able to work independently, as they are often working on-site without supervision. Use the groundskeeping worker job description as a guide for writing a job description for the position you want to be filled.
Groundskeeping Worker Job Summary
Enjoy the outdoors, interact with nature and have fun at your job! Positions are now open for permanent full-time groundskeeping workers. If you enjoy staying busy throughout the day but could never sit behind a desk for 40 hours a week, this position is for you. Responsible for keeping landscaping neat, healthy and well maintained, the year-round cycle of planting, lawn care, tree trimming and snow removal tasks will have you on the move all four seasons of the year. You will coordinate with your groundskeeping supervisor at the beginning of each shift and then complete your tasks independently. If you are a hard worker who loves the outdoors and is self-motivated, apply for this groundskeeping worker position today.
- Plants flowers, shrubs and trees to beautify the landscape and benefit the environment
- Prunes trees and shrubs, rakes leaves and cleans up debris from all walkways in order to present a well-maintained and safe area
- Keeps lawns at a proper length by using large standing lawnmowers and edging equipment, and monitors the functionality of the irrigation system in order to keep the landscape well-watered
- Removes snow from parking lots and walkways to keep them accessible in the winter by shoveling or using a snow plow
- Operates vehicles, such as pick-up trucks and dump trucks, in the course of groundskeeping activities in order to haul equipment, plants or refuse
- Maintains and repairs equipment and tools in order to extend their lifetime and usefulness
- Performs weed control activities by either spraying herbicides or installing weed barrier cloth during the planting phase
- Assists in the repair of walkways and parking lots on an as-needed basis to reduce tripping hazards
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record
- Skill to operate ground maintenance equipment
- Able to lift up to 65 pounds and climb a 12-foot ladder
- Desire to work hard with a customer service orientation
- Knowledge of how to use fertilizer
- Previous equipment repair experience
Writing an attractive groundskeeping job description is just the first step in finding applicants for your position. If your job description is only posted in one or two places, you are not likely to find the best candidate for your job listing.
Job seekers use a wide variety of sources when seeking out the perfect position. Choices range from job aggregator sites to social media networks. It takes a large time commitment to individually post your job on multiple job boards. Alternatively, you can use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free to hundreds of boards at once that will give you the widest possible audience for your job description.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter