If you’re wondering where to start when writing a health educator job description, it’s best to begin with typical duties. Health educators work with their communities to improve healthy living. They may develop educational programs to teach people about access to wellness services or inform the public about living with certain medical conditions.
The typical health educator has a bachelor’s degree in health education. Some people in this job have more advanced degrees in their field. Health educators may also need to be certified in some states, which is awarded after passing a test and completing classwork throughout the career.
Since health educators work with the public, they need to have excellent interpersonal skills. They also need strong written communication skills to create effective health materials for their community. Learn more about this job by looking at the health educator job description template here.
Health Educator Job Summary
Are you looking for a way to improve the outcomes for the health of women and children in this state? If so, we are interested in learning how you can help as a health educator for our women and children program. Our health educators work with pregnant women and guide them through this challenging time by providing childbirth classes and access to community resources. You will continue your link to the community by leading classes for new moms to support newborn care and helpful parenting tips. If you’re looking for a way to give our youngest community members the best possible start to life, we want you to join our team.
- Plan health education programs and promotional activities geared towards pregnant women, new mothers and families in the community
- Prepare written educational materials promoting healthy living and tips for pregnancy and newborn care to distribute throughout the community
- Consult community leaders and additional outreach programs for women and children to find out what the current needs are for health education
- Lead a staff of 15 educators and staff members in conducting classes and workshops throughout the state on pregnancy and newborn health education
- Collect information about potential class and program participants by creating mailing lists and seeking information from online community databases
- Evaluate current health education programs at the conclusion of each session by asking participants to complete surveys measuring understanding of the objectives
- Promote health education topics throughout the state using social media, television advertisements, press releases and other marketing techniques
- Conduct comprehensive training programs and courses for new and existing employees in the health education department to maintain top understanding of important topics
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in health education or another similar topic
- Certified state health educator
- Background working with pregnant women or new mothers
- Master’s degree in health education or community health
- Experience teaching adult learners
When you finally get your health educator job description to sound exactly the way you want it to, you should next plan a strategy to get it out into the world. You want to reach as many health educators as possible to increase your chances of finding the perfect new hire.
Health educators who are looking for new jobs focus their searches online. There are many different popular job boards on the internet, and it can be extremely time consuming to go to each site individually and set up an account to post your job description. Employers who want to save this time use more efficient ways to spread the news about new job opportunities. One idea is to try using MightyRecruiter to help you post jobs for free to all of the major job boards easily and get closer to finding the right person.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter