Health safety specialists play a critical role in circumventing unnecessary tragedies, injuries and health hazards from occurring in the workplace. Their primary responsibility is to thoroughly inspect and analyze workplace environments, conditions and practices to identify potential dangers. Using extensive field work, research and investigation, they develop procedures to protect workers and the environment. Other tasks include performing compliance tests, investigating accidents and implementing protocols for emergency situations.
As you begin to articulate your health safety specialist job description, it is imperative to establish the importance of problem-solving skills. Other critical competencies include communication, attention to detail and an understanding of technology.
Health safety specialists must also have and maintain physical stamina to support the need for frequent travel assignments and exposure to difficult environments. By referencing this resource, you can confidently select the right material to use in your own professional health safety specialist job description.
Health Safety Specialist Job Summary
As a health safety specialist at our headquarters, you will have the opportunity to help create a workplace that is safe, compliant and conducive to successful growth. You will have the chance to use communication to conduct trainings and ensure employee understanding of critical protocols. Using sophisticated testing equipment, you will be able to identify and analyze potentially harmful toxins, materials and conditions to develop improved procedures for optimal workplace safety. Working as part of a synergistic team, you will think critically to find and solve problems. If you are someone who is detail oriented and committed to bettering the workplace, this could be the perfect job for you.
- Inspect workplace environments, activities and conditions to verify compliance with federal laws, regulations and requirements
- Suspend activities or the use of dangerous materials until alternative solutions have been developed, tested and implemented
- Collect samples and data of elements such as dust, toxic waste, vapors and gases to determine adequate exposure levels and design right-to-know clauses for employee reference
- Run audits on ventilation, noise protection, lighting and exhaust equipment to ensure that all are functioning properly and working efficiently to create optimal safety for employees
- Investigate accidents to identify root problems, eliminate existing dangers and develop solutions that will reduce the risk of other accidents from occurring
- Organize programs for medical monitoring and employee safety, and conduct educational trainings to instruct all workers on proper workplace behavior and activity
- Maintain a database of present materials that are hazardous or toxic to guarantee each is properly handled during use and disposed of later on
- Develop emergency preparedness plans and create employee resources to direct workers in potentially dangerous situations
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in health science or related field
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Physical strength and stamina
- Familiarity with the testing equipment used in analysis of hazardous materials
Editing the final draft of your health safety specialist job description is only the beginning of finding the right candidate. Next, it is time to advertise your posting in places that are reputable, visible and professionally designed to attract the most qualified recruits. Your options are many, including utilizing referral sites, participating in job fairs and even posting a blurb to your own website. Determining the right combination of methods is entirely based off of personal preference and company protocol.
Another valuable tool is online job boards which many candidates prefer because of the detailed filtering systems used to expedite the discovery of desired positions. To get started, use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free and gain immediate visibility from recruits who are serious about getting a job.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter