Healthcare practitioners and technical workers fulfill a broad range of job functions within the healthcare field. Some have specific medical training that they use to diagnose, treat and prevent illnesses. Others have technical skills that enable them to perform procedures or operate specialized equipment.
Because there are numerous occupations within this field, your healthcare practitioners and technical worker job description should contain specific information about the tasks associated with the position. It should also outline the education and training that is required to accomplish those tasks.
Almost everyone who works in this field will interact with patients on a constant basis, so it is important for your employees to have strong interpersonal skills. You should also seek candidates who value accuracy in their work and perform well in demanding situations. Review the following example for more ideas about what to include in your healthcare practitioners and technical worker job description.
Healthcare Practitioners and Technical Worker Job Summary
North Junction Medical Group is seeking a technical lab assistant to facilitate efficient and accurate patient testing at our East Drive lab location. As a technical lab assistant, you will be a member of NJMG’s world-class healthcare team, providing warm and comforting care to everyone you encounter. You will support a team of laboratory technicians, reporting to lab manager Geraldine Hudson. During your work day, you will perform essential testing procedures, safely handle and store lab specimens, fulfill administrative tasks and ensure the organized operation of your facility. As you continue to develop your knowledge base, you will have the opportunity to obtain further certifications and advance in your career.
- Survey laboratory orders multiple times per day to determine the variety of testing to be done and the type and quantities of each sample required
- Obtain blood, urine, stool and hair samples and perform other standard clinical tests as necessary
- Support laboratory technicians during specialized clinical tests by communicating with patients, fulfilling technician requests, managing supplies and recording patient responses
- Label, handle and store samples according to proper protocols to safeguard their purity and ensure accurate test results
- Test samples for the evidence of pathogens, hormones, drugs and other substances and conditions as designated by lab orders
- Determine waiver status of procedures, explain risks and benefits to patients, obtain informed consent and file documentation
- Greet incoming patients, establish insurance status, explain billing requirements and sort requisite paperwork at the end of each day
- Engage in weekly meetings with colleagues to develop and implement strategies for improving lab efficiency and promoting patient satisfaction
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- At least two years’ previous experience in a medical laboratory role
- Familiarity with medical billing and coding software
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills to ensure positive patient experience
- Commitment to performing all work duties with excellence and accuracy
Now that you have laid the groundwork for success by writing a stellar healthcare practitioners and technical worker job description, you can build on your work by distributing it to sources that your desired candidates will encounter. Some of the best recruiting resources might surprise you. For example, social media is a low-cost way to find talent, while referrals from your current employees can help you find great culture fits.
Even if you do pursue these emerging recruitment channels, you will probably reach the greatest number of candidates by making use of job boards. Of course, with so many job boards available, it can take hours to upload your description to all of them. If you want to lighten your load and post jobs for free, then consider using MightyRecruiter to post to all your desired job boards simultaneously.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter