Healthcare practitioners and technical workers fulfill a broad range of job functions within the healthcare field. Some have specific medical training that they use to diagnose, treat and prevent illnesses. Others have technical skills that enable them to perform procedures or operate specialized equipment.
Because there are numerous occupations within this field, your healthcare practitioners and technical worker job description should contain specific information about the tasks associated with the position. It should also outline the education and training that is required to accomplish those tasks.
Almost everyone who works in this field will interact with patients on a constant basis, so it is important for your employees to have strong interpersonal skills. You should also seek candidates who value accuracy in their work and perform well in demanding situations. Review the following example for more ideas about what to include in your healthcare practitioners and technical worker job description.
Healthcare Practitioners and Technical Worker Job Summary
North Junction Medical Group is seeking a technical lab assistant to facilitate efficient and accurate patient testing at our East Drive lab location. As a technical lab assistant, you will be a member of NJMG’s world-class healthcare team, providing warm and comforting care to everyone you encounter. You will support a team of laboratory technicians, reporting to lab manager Geraldine Hudson. During your work day, you will perform essential testing procedures, safely handle and store lab specimens, fulfill administrative tasks and ensure the organized operation of your facility. As you continue to develop your knowledge base, you will have the opportunity to obtain further certifications and advance in your career.
- Survey laboratory orders multiple times per day to determine the variety of testing to be done and the type and quantities of each sample required
- Obtain blood, urine, stool and hair samples and perform other standard clinical tests as necessary
- Support laboratory technicians during specialized clinical tests by communicating with patients, fulfilling technician requests, managing supplies and recording patient responses
- Label, handle and store samples according to proper protocols to safeguard their purity and ensure accurate test results
- Test samples for the evidence of pathogens, hormones, drugs and other substances and conditions as designated by lab orders
- Determine waiver status of procedures, explain risks and benefits to patients, obtain informed consent and file documentation
- Greet incoming patients, establish insurance status, explain billing requirements and sort requisite paperwork at the end of each day
- Engage in weekly meetings with colleagues to develop and implement strategies for improving lab efficiency and promoting patient satisfaction
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- At least two years’ previous experience in a medical laboratory role
- Familiarity with medical billing and coding software
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills to ensure positive patient experience
- Commitment to performing all work duties with excellence and accuracy
Healthcare Practitioners and Technical Worker Job Responsibilities
When writing your healthcare practitioners and technical worker job description, focus on the responsibilities section as much as possible. This section details what the expectations will be for the candidate you hire, so readers use this information to decide whether or not to apply. This means that the healthcare practitioners and technical worker job responsibilities section directly affects who applies. If it is not written effectively, you may receive an overwhelming number of unqualified applicants or not enough talented ones.
While this section will be longer than other parts of the description, we recommend that you format it as 6-8 bullet points. This is the right length to avoid being intimidating or too brief to be useful to readers. Every bullet point should begin with a strong action verb that demonstrates the daily tasks required. Get started on your healthcare practitioners and technical worker job description with these sample entries:
- Interact with patients, explaining complicated medical terminology and procedures and answering inquiries clearly and accurately
- Examine and observe patients, making diagnoses and prescribing medicine and procedures to benefit their health
- Maintain and update patients’ records, entering detailed information with every appointment
- Contact patients through phone calls and emails to update them about lab results and other developments
Healthcare Practitioners and Technical Worker Job Specifications
At the conclusion of your healthcare practitioners and technical worker job description, you should include a short job qualifications and skills section that details the requirements to apply successfully. While the information found in this section may be brief, it includes key elements that help applicants to quickly determine their eligibility.
You should format the healthcare practitioners and technical worker job specifications as a bulleted list, although unlike the responsibilities section, separate this list into two sections: mandatory and preferred qualifications.The person directly responsible for the new employee or your human resources department should be able to clarify which expectations fall into each of these categories. If a specification is a deal-breaker, you should make it perfectly clear to the readers. If a specification is only nice to have, however, you do not want talented candidates deciding not to apply simply because they fail to meet only one item on the list. These samples demonstrate entries for your healthcare practitioners and technical worker job description.
- Must have completed medical school and specialized in internal health
- Completion of relevant training programs required
- Excellent beside manner and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analysis, critical thinking and evaluation skills
- Good attention to small details