Healthcare social workers are specially trained to assist patients following certain medical diagnoses. They help people understand the details of the medical condition and assist in planning and implementing necessary changes in lifestyle, healthcare, diet and housing. Social workers may also recommend support groups and help patients deal with changes in mental or emotional health.
A healthcare social worker job description should focus primarily on the proper medical education, work experience and required licenses. Qualified candidates should also have excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively with patients and their family members along with medical professionals.
Healthcare social workers must show compassion and empathy for patients in a variety of situations. Time management, organization and problem-solving skills are also important. Look through the healthcare social worker job description template below to see what other information you should include in your job listing.
Healthcare Social Worker Job Summary
Are you looking for a career that provides daily challenges and allows you to make a real, lasting difference in the lives of local residents? If so, we want you to join our team of passionate healthcare social workers and use your expertise to provide personalized support to patients of every age. You will have a chance to augment medical care by assisting patients in making positive lifestyle changes and providing resources to encourage emotional growth and stability. We believe that every patient is unique and worthy of compassion and the very best care, so we give our social workers the resources necessary to provide effective support. Join us to begin a meaningful career with outstanding financial benefits and true job satisfaction.
- Assess each patient’s unique condition, combining data from medical diagnoses, personal interviews and professional knowledge to establish accurate picture of overall mental and emotional health
- Develop comprehensive plans to help patients adjust to medical diagnoses, including recommending support groups and lifestyle changes, and helping patients transition from hospital care to personal healthcare management
- Provide necessary support for each patient according to health status, personal strengths and weaknesses, emotional state and additional factors
- Research local support groups and other resources to determine which ones are right for individual patients, taking into account eligibility requirements and treatment methodologies
- Evaluate services and resources provided to patients to determine effectiveness, and modify treatment plan and recommendations as necessary
- Follow up with patients throughout diagnosis, treatment and recovery to determine current state of mental and emotional health, provide required support and create relevant recommendations for changes to lifestyle and diet
- Maintain current knowledge of local resources and relevant medical research to provide best possible recommendation to patients
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, psychology or sociology, plus minimum 1 year of clinical work experience
- Healthcare social work license
- Excellent communication skills, including ability to explain medical concepts to patients in understandable language
- Compassionate demeanor with patients of all ages and conditions
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Master’s degree
Finding and hiring the right candidate for your company is a multi-step process. Once you’ve created a healthcare social worker job description that includes the necessary requirements and an attractive job summary, you need to post it in areas frequented by qualified jobseekers.
The numerous available paid and free online job boards and professional social networks present excellent posting options. You may also consider starting a referral program for current employees to recommend qualified candidates, or posting the job listing to your company’s official public website. Posting to multiple places is often the best way to ensure a quick and successful job search, but it can be time-consuming to go through the submission process for every site individually. Consider using MightyRecruiter to post to free job boards, which can simplify the entire process dramatically.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter