Help desk professionals offer crucial skills to their organizations, in a wide variety of environments. Some individuals aid clients from within a contact center, performing actions such as troubleshooting, installation and instruction via telephone, email or online live chat sessions. Others visit users in person, providing them with desktop support functions. Additionally, they may bring attention to critical problems needing immediate solutions through pre-defined escalation procedures.
Within the skills section of your help desk technician job description, make sure you mention abilities that successful candidates for the position should possess. These individuals need vital strengths such as problem-solving, communicating and careful listening to provide necessary services to their clients.
In addition to these skills and specific technical specializations, a computer support specialist should also focus on excellent customer service, which includes a degree of patience and empathy. Craft a solid help desk technician job description using our free example below.
Help Desk Technician Job Summary
If you’re like most professionals, you desire a job in which your skills, education and knowledge are valued. We offer computer support specialists like you that chance with our latest help desk technician opportunity. If selected, you’ll provide technical support services to the students, faculty and staff of a local Catholic seminary during a six-month assignment, with the possibility of direct hire by the client at the end of the contract. In addition to enjoying community interaction in a small academic environment, you’ll put your expertise to use for one of the leading consulting firms in the metropolitan area. As an associate with our company, you’ll enjoy an exclusive, premier benefits and wage compensation package as well as the potential for greater challenges and future career advancement.
- Respond to inquiries directed to the IT department from telephone, email or in-person contact by seminarians, faculty and staff members
- Process incoming help desk requests through the seminary’s web-accessible trouble ticket system, and assign tasks to self or other technicians as directed by workflow demands and current procedures
- Coordinate with Director of IT to schedule installation and implementation projects for hardware, software and network-accessible resources
- Train users individually or in groups on basic, intermediate and advanced features of Office suite, web-based, mobile and other applications
- Troubleshoot and resolve problems with hardware, software and internet connectivity for individual user machines as well as for mobile devices and campus-wide systems
- Craft new technological solutions to increase security, convenience and efficiency for the seminary community, either individually or in collaboration with other department members
- Assist in maintaining campus-wide intranet resources, including adding new content and instructing seminary community members in creating, uploading and editing pages
- Work with IT Director and other department members to schedule upgrades and replacements for individual faculty and staff computer equipment
Job Skills & Qualifications
- At least two years of prior help desk experience
- Ability to pass background check and drug screening
- Associate degree or higher in computer science, information science or a related field
- Prior experience providing technical support for an academic institution
Want to use this job description?
Help Desk Technician Job Responsibilities
Having a solid list of responsibilities in your help desk technician job description is what will get the attention of candidates best prepared to perform the duties the position requires. By including key responsibilities in this substantive section, you let jobseekers know your expectations as well as the kinds of tasks they can expect to perform on a day-to-day basis.
For ease of readability, you’ll want to present this section of your help desk technician job description in clear, concise bullet points. There’s no need to mention every responsibility an employee may encounter, but be sure to incorporate the critical ones. Including between six and eight bullet points and using strong action verbs to communicate duties will emphasize the importance of this role to the jobseeker.
Here are some sample duties you might see on a list of help desk technician job responsibilities:
- Provide assistance to customers needing mobile, desktop and server support, both on-site and remotely as needed
- Respond to email and phone queries within 24 hours of original client request
- Update help desk and trouble ticket system as issues progress through workflow
- Assist in configuring servers, user accounts and help desk system for new clients
- Maintain professionalism in all customer interactions
Help Desk Technician Job Specifications
Your help desk technician job description should include a strong skills and qualifications section. Although this section is short, it’s a powerful player in bringing the best candidates to your company. By serving as a deterrent to would-be applicants who are lacking in the proper skills or training, a well-written list of necessary qualifications gives you more time to review and interview applicants with the skills and experience you need.
In this section, you can often incorporate both your minimum, must-have qualifications and your desired, nice-to-have qualifications. For example, if you want five years’ relevant experience but would accept three, you can mention this in a single bullet point. For more specific job requirements, it’s best to consult with the hiring manager or supervisor for the position. They know the ins and outs of the position and can further strengthen your help desk technician job description with their input.
Here are some examples of help desk technician job specifications:
- Associate’s degree in network technology, computer systems, network administration or related field; bachelor’s degree preferred
- Experience working with a variety of operating systems, including Linux, MacOS 10.x and Windows-based systems
- Expert-level knowledge of server administration with familiarity in setting up SharePoint servers
- Professional demeanor in dealing with customers, clients and company IT personnel
- At least 2 years’ experience working in a help desk environment