Help desk professionals offer crucial skills to their organizations, in a wide variety of environments. Some individuals aid clients from within a contact center, performing actions such as troubleshooting, installation and instruction via telephone, email or online live chat sessions. Others visit users in person, providing them with desktop support functions. Additionally, they may bring attention to critical problems needing immediate solutions through pre-defined escalation procedures.
Within the skills section of your help desk technician job description, make sure you mention abilities that successful candidates for the position should possess. These individuals need vital strengths such as problem-solving, communicating and careful listening to provide necessary services to their clients.
In addition to these skills and specific technical specializations, a computer support specialist should also focus on excellent customer service, which includes a degree of patience and empathy. Craft a solid help desk technician job description using our free example below.
Help Desk Technician Job Summary
If you’re like most professionals, you desire a job in which your skills, education and knowledge are valued. We offer computer support specialists like you that chance with our latest help desk technician opportunity. If selected, you’ll provide technical support services to the students, faculty and staff of a local Catholic seminary during a six-month assignment, with the possibility of direct hire by the client at the end of the contract. In addition to enjoying community interaction in a small academic environment, you’ll put your expertise to use for one of the leading consulting firms in the metropolitan area. As an associate with our company, you’ll enjoy an exclusive, premier benefits and wage compensation package as well as the potential for greater challenges and future career advancement.
- Respond to inquiries directed to the IT department from telephone, email or in-person contact by seminarians, faculty and staff members
- Process incoming help desk requests through the seminary’s web-accessible trouble ticket system, and assign tasks to self or other technicians as directed by workflow demands and current procedures
- Coordinate with Director of IT to schedule installation and implementation projects for hardware, software and network-accessible resources
- Train users individually or in groups on basic, intermediate and advanced features of Office suite, web-based, mobile and other applications
- Troubleshoot and resolve problems with hardware, software and internet connectivity for individual user machines as well as for mobile devices and campus-wide systems
- Craft new technological solutions to increase security, convenience and efficiency for the seminary community, either individually or in collaboration with other department members
- Assist in maintaining campus-wide intranet resources, including adding new content and instructing seminary community members in creating, uploading and editing pages
- Work with IT Director and other department members to schedule upgrades and replacements for individual faculty and staff computer equipment
Job Skills & Qualifications
- At least two years of prior help desk experience
- Ability to pass background check and drug screening
- Associate degree or higher in computer science, information science or a related field
- Prior experience providing technical support for an academic institution
In addition to crafting a stellar help desk technician job description, you need to make sure you give it the widest audience possible. To attract a diverse pool of qualified candidates, it’s vital to remember that they seek new opportunities in many different places. For one thing, uploading your new job posting to your organization’s website is a smart move in casting a wide net. Don’t forget to share it on your own social media channels, and encourage your current staff members to circulate it on their own professional and social networks.
Online job boards provide yet another way to gain the attention of top talent, but trying to get your new job description posted can be quite time consuming. Thankfully, MightyRecruiter can assist you, with the ability to post jobs for free simultaneously on hundreds of these sites.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter