History teachers are responsible for educating secondary and post-secondary students with academic lessons in social studies, historiography, human history and current events, typically with a concentration on the United States or world. They help prepare pupils for life after school by fostering critical thinking, problem-solving and an awareness of how historical events have shaped today’s social and political climate.
Beyond delivering content necessary to pass state-mandated standardized testing, history teachers must uphold a classroom environment that motivates and challenges students of all backgrounds and abilities. As you are creating your history teacher job description, be sure to specify the need for patience, adaptability and active listening.
In addition to meeting education and professional requirements, you are seeking a skilled communicator capable of inspiring and building excellent rapport with students and fellow faculty. Reference our history teacher job description template below to get ideas on what to include in your posting.
History Teacher Job Summary
Are you a passionate educator who loves to share knowledge in a way that motivates students and influences their lives well after graduation? Are you an unapologetic history buff who wants to challenge the way young people see and experience the world? If so, you may be an excellent fit for our open position as a history teacher. Our school offers an intellectually stimulating, creative and inclusive environment designed to give teachers the freedom they need to innovate and prepare students for today’s modern challenges. As a valued faculty member of our history department, you will have a direct impact on each student in your classes.
- Plan and deliver lessons on the history of the United States and world for the day, week, semester and year to students, utilizing creative and engaging techniques
- Prepare academic materials, including homework assignments, syllabi and instructional handouts; report to the department chair monthly regarding the effectiveness of concepts
- Facilitate classroom discussions and encourage the participation of all students, incorporating relevant reading and current events
- Grade papers, tests and homework, monitoring progress and adapting lesson plans to meet students’ needs
- Assess individual strengths, weaknesses and opportunities of each student, addressing issues as needed
- Maintain working knowledge of state-set standardized tests and prepare students to take and pass each, instilling confidence in their capability to demonstrate knowledge gained during the school year
- Uphold clearly communicated rules and behavior expectations for a disciplined and inclusive classroom setting
- Communicate with parents when necessary regarding noteworthy achievements, academic challenges, special considerations or concerns you feel their child needs to succeed
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in education or history
- State-issued certification or teaching license
- One semester of student teaching
- Ability to pass a background check and CPR training
- Master’s degree in education and/or history
- One year of prior teaching experience
Once you have created a captivating history teacher job description, it’s time to take your hiring strategy to the next level. The key to finding quality candidates is to post the opening on the appropriate platforms and make it visible to the right audience.
Prospective teachers utilize many different outlets to find positions. They may network through university and professional connections, LinkedIn or social media. Still, online jobs boards and education-specific listings remain some of the most popular ways to get hired. If you want to guarantee your opening is visible to a broad audience and save time inputting information, consider using a free service like MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free to hundreds of boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter