Human resources managers are responsible for planning, directing and coordinating the administrative functions of an organization to maximize the use of employee talents. This often involves recruiting, interviewing and hiring new employees; acting as a liaison between management and employees; overseeing benefits programs; mediating disputes and ensuring disciplinary procedures are followed.
The skills section of your HR manager job description should cover at minimum the most essential skills or qualities that allow an HR manager to be a success. This would include great leadership ability, strong organizational skills and the ability to interact well with others.
HR managers must also be adept at making decisions. They are often called upon to balance options and choose the best course of action, often between two choices that may initially seem similar. Consider the example below to get a clearer understanding of what should be included in a great HR manager job description.
HR Manager Job Summary
Are you eager for a new challenge every day you come to work? Do you love working with people and have a talent for discerning who could work well within a company? We are looking for an energetic, detail-oriented and friendly HR manager to guide employees and fill new vacancies from our corporate office location. Under the guidance of our senior HR manager, you will be responsible for providing our employees with human resource support for hiring, corporate policies and procedures. We value all our employees and offer competitive wages and benefits packages for each of our workers, who regularly meet and exceed our expectations.
- Act as a link between management personnel and employees by helping to resolve work-related disputes between employees, answering questions and interpreting and administering contracts daily
- Advise managers on policy matters, including sexual harassment, equal employment opportunity and race, and recommend changes to ensure compliance with local, state and federal law
- Modify benefits and compensation policies to maintain competitive programs that align with legal requirements
- Manage staffing, including handing understaffing issues, overseeing disciplinary action and firing employees as needed
- Oversee or directly participate in the recruitment, interviewing and hiring of new employees for both vacant and new positions within the company
- Create and implement new employee orientation and training programs to help create a strong awareness of company culture for new hires
- Provide information on company policies, working conditions, job duties, wages, promotions and employee benefits to all current and prospective employees as needed
- Compile and maintain statistical reports regarding personnel-related data, including performance, tardiness, new hires, transfers, terminations and those who voluntarily leave the company
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum of five years of work experiences dealing with employee training and relations
- Degree in human resources or business administration
- Experience with payroll processing
- PHR/SPHR certification
- MS Office, Ultipro, Outlook and government verification websites
While making your HR manager job description work for you is an essential part of finding great candidates, it is only the first piece of the puzzle. You need to ensure your job post receives the greatest exposure in all the right places. This means that utilizing your company website, noted job boards, social media sites and even emails from current employees is essential to finding the best candidates. Job boards are undoubtedly going to remain one of the strongest and most effective weapons in your job-filling arsenal, but posting to these boards can be tedious and time-consuming. To jumpstart your search and get the most exposure possible, post jobs for free to hundreds of boards all at the same time by using MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter