Human resources managers are responsible for planning, directing and coordinating the administrative functions of an organization to maximize the use of employee talents. This often involves recruiting, interviewing and hiring new employees; acting as a liaison between management and employees; overseeing benefits programs; mediating disputes and ensuring disciplinary procedures are followed.
The skills section of your HR manager job description should cover at minimum the most essential skills or qualities that allow an HR manager to be a success. This would include great leadership ability, strong organizational skills and the ability to interact well with others.
HR managers must also be adept at making decisions. They are often called upon to balance options and choose the best course of action, often between two choices that may initially seem similar. Consider the example below to get a clearer understanding of what should be included in a great HR manager job description.
HR Manager Job Summary
Are you eager for a new challenge every day you come to work? Do you love working with people and have a talent for discerning who could work well within a company? We are looking for an energetic, detail-oriented and friendly HR manager to guide employees and fill new vacancies from our corporate office location. Under the guidance of our senior HR manager, you will be responsible for providing our employees with human resource support for hiring, corporate policies and procedures. We value all our employees and offer competitive wages and benefits packages for each of our workers, who regularly meet and exceed our expectations.
- Act as a link between management personnel and employees by helping to resolve work-related disputes between employees, answering questions and interpreting and administering contracts daily
- Advise managers on policy matters, including sexual harassment, equal employment opportunity and race, and recommend changes to ensure compliance with local, state and federal law
- Modify benefits and compensation policies to maintain competitive programs that align with legal requirements
- Manage staffing, including handing understaffing issues, overseeing disciplinary action and firing employees as needed
- Oversee or directly participate in the recruitment, interviewing and hiring of new employees for both vacant and new positions within the company
- Create and implement new employee orientation and training programs to help create a strong awareness of company culture for new hires
- Provide information on company policies, working conditions, job duties, wages, promotions and employee benefits to all current and prospective employees as needed
- Compile and maintain statistical reports regarding personnel-related data, including performance, tardiness, new hires, transfers, terminations and those who voluntarily leave the company
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum of five years of work experiences dealing with employee training and relations
- Degree in human resources or business administration
- Experience with payroll processing
- PHR/SPHR certification
- MS Office, Ultipro, Outlook and government verification websites
HR Manager Job Responsibilities
The job responsibilities section of your HR manager job description is one of the most important areas because it’s what first draws in the attention of jobseekers. When written clearly and concisely, this section can be a big help in getting the right number of qualified candidates sending you resumes. This list should be thorough but not necessarily comprehensive. Keep your focus on the main daily duties of the job and leave out any secondary ones.
Be sure to use a bulleted format for this section. Bullets are a great way to streamline the large chunk of information you’ll be presenting. You should make sure to begin each bullet with a powerful verb and keep the list between four and eight bullets total. This will make your HR manager job description much easier to read.
Feel free to peruse these examples of well-written HR manager job responsibilities:
- Identify gaps in staff and recruit, interview and hire applicants
- Advise managers on administrative policy such as sexual harassment, equal opportunity employment and other interpersonal regulations
- Oversee the distribution of compensation and benefits plans as well as recreational programs and safety standards
- Communicate company policies and provide relevant information and documentation to employees
HR Manager Job Specifications
It’s easy to make the assumption that writing the job qualifications and skills section of your HR manager job description would be quick and simple. It’s the section with the shortest content, after all: a basic list of requirements to apply for the position, such as relevant work experience and education.
While easy to make, this assumption is a mistake. The qualifications and skills section is just as important as the rest because if poorly written, it can confuse jobseekers, and you may end up receiving hundreds of applications from candidates unfit for the position.
This situation is avoidable. Make sure to have an involved conversation with your senior leadership regarding the qualifications for HR managers at your company. This will give you a more detailed description of what they are looking for and a clearer picture of how to write your HR manager job description. Make sure to separate preferred skills from deal-breaking ones to give candidates a firmer understanding of their eligibility.
Here are some HR manager job specifications for your reference:
- At least 5 years’ experience in human resources management
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in relevant field
- Exceptional interpersonal communications skills, especially written and oral
- Keen understanding of psychological principles, particularly as they apply to interviewing and selecting candidates