Most experienced human resources specialists understand how to effectively source qualified candidates. Therefore, it’s crucial that you dedicate some time to make sure you’re presenting the right pitch to this specific crowd of applicants. What do they value? What do they bring to the table? What are you looking for? We’ve created the following human resources associate job description sample to help you attract the kind of people you’re interested in hiring.
Human Resources Associate Job Summary
The selected candidate will have a thorough understanding of a large-scale human resources department. He or she will responsible for assisting the HR director with a variety of duties, including new hire onboarding, orientation, payroll and benefits administration, employee assistance and special assignments as needed.
Human resources associate Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Administers multi-state payroll on a bi-weekly basis.
- Manages benefits program and vendor relationships. Assists employees with questions, issues and enrollment.
- Maintains database of employee records as well as all active and inactive applications.
- Conducts initial screening interviews and contacts references to verify background.
- Conducts all new-hire orientations.
- Assists with the development of new-hire training material.
- Works directly with our third-party vendor to assist out-of-state employees with relocation.
- Coordinates flight, car and hotel arrangements for candidate interviews.
- Contributes to ongoing recruiting efforts as needed.
- Mitigates employee relation issues while adhering to company, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Maintains complete confidentiality of all HR-related information.
- Continually works with department to streamline the hiring process and improve internal policies.
Human Resources Associate Job Requirements
- BA/BS in business, human resources, organizational leadership or related field is required
- 3 years experience in corporate HR, preferably with a large manufacturer
- Working knowledge of Oracle
- Highly proficient with Word, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to maintain employee confidentiality
- Superior attention to detail
- Ability to multitask and work with minimal supervision
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Available for occasional travel to remote sites < 10%
- Experience with ADP payroll is preferred
Founded in 1998, Durian Solar has become the nation’s leading manufacturer of residential and commercial solar panels. We’re headquartered in Phoenix but currently operate production, sales and distribution facilities all across the United States. Our mission is simple: to preserve the environment through sustainable energy. We work with passionate researchers, scientists, clients and employees to reduce long-term energy costs and ensure a better world for future generations.
Best Practices When Writing a Job Description
- The Human Resources Associate job description sample above is a great reference, but don’t simply copy information just because it sounds good. It’s important that you embody your own culture and convey the specific needs of your department and organization. Here are a few do’s and don’t to keep in mind as you draft your description.
- Do be direct. Picture yourself as an applicant who wants to know everything about your organization and the position. Use action-focused verbiage and paint a clear picture of the daily routine.
- Don’t include trivial tasks. Being thoroughly concise means leaving out information that doesn’t carry any weight. For example, you don’t need to detail standard office duties like making copies or using a printer.
- Do sell your culture. Don’t focus solely on the job duties. Instead, incorporate some details specific to your company, and don’t be afraid to use a little wit. Your candidates should be able to easily determine whether or not they would be a good fit for your culture.
- Don’t advertise salary information if it conflicts with company policy.
- Do use bullet points. Today’s jobseekers want fast information, and bullets are easy on the eyes. Plus, they help filter out unqualified candidates who simply skim through paragraphs.
- Do think about your platform. You want a description that looks good on a website, job board, mobile app or wherever you’re planning to advertise.
- Do be transparent. Don’t ever sugarcoat any job duties simply because they may seem unpleasant.
- Don’t go at it alone. Talk to other members of your team, particularly those in similar roles. This prevents you from forgetting key functions of the job.
- Do provide contact information and specific submission guidelines. Some employers like to see which candidates will actually call in for a name. While this traditional test of persistence is nice in theory, it really just wastes time. Tell your applicants exactly how you’d like them to apply.
Human Resources Associate Job Responsibilities
Human resources is all about recruitment, recruitment, recruitment — but what do you do when the very people you need to hire are the ones who’d normally handle recruitment for you? The answer is easy. You make use of our tips and tricks to write a skillfully developed, compelling human resources associate job description. An effective job description gives potential employees all the information they need to know your company is the place for career development and a growth-oriented work environment.
So how do you convey that? By writing your human resources associate job description in as compelling a format as possible. Keep it simple with bullets, and keep it short with punchy phrasing and vivid writing. Make good use of action verbs to spice things up, but don’t cross the line into unprofessional language. Action verbs revitalize your job descriptions without losing that professionalism that impresses jobseekers.
Here’s a great example of human resources associate job responsibilities
- Process new hire paperwork; guide employees through orientation
- Maintain employee database, records and applicant tracking database
- Facilitate employee relations through regular communication and surveys
- Assist with payroll processing and timesheet tracking
- Prepare and submit weekly, monthly and quarterly reports
- Support HR management in all workforce development, recruitment and training initiatives
Human Resources Associate Job Specifications
It’s true that a great human resources associate job description will attract a lot of applicants, but what if it’s attracting too many? In particular, you need to worry about attracting the wrong kind of applicants. These applicants either lack the minimum qualifications to perform the job, or are so overqualified they won’t receive satisfaction in the role and may have unrealistic expectations. To reduce this problem, you want to include a list of necessary job qualifications and skills.
These job qualifications are screening criteria that discourage candidates who don’t meet them or who far surpass them, resulting in fewer unnecessary applicants. A simple list of 5-6 criteria should do, focusing solely on the key attributes required to excel in the job. Depending on your company, those attributes may vary, so rather than use stock criteria, you should discuss with members of your team to determine traits that align with your company’s values. Narrow them down to only what’s required, and include them in your human resources associate job description.
Give these human resources associate job specifications a shot:
Bachelor’s degree in human resources or related discipline required; master’s degree given preference 1 year of experience in a junior- or entry-level human resources role Intimate knowledge of HRIS and other employee-tracking databases Accounting certifications preferred Excellent communication and relationship-building skills