The responsibilities of HVAC service technicians include assessing products to identify needed repairs, referencing blueprints to install complete HVAC systems, providing suggestions for increased energy efficiency and setting controls to determine that a system is working properly. Routine documentation is also necessary to keep record of customers served and to manage obligatory scheduling requirements.
When writing your HVAC service technician job description, encourage critical skills such as customer service, time management and confidence when performing mechanical tasks and using tools. Candidates also need to be able to accurately troubleshoot and diagnose problems, and should have adequate physical strength to maneuver heavy equipment on their own.
You should also require applicants to have the appropriate certification to be able to legally install and service HVAC systems. This HVAC service technician job description can help you better understand how to articulate these requirements in a way that is clear and intriguing.
HVAC Service Technician Job Summary
Do you enjoy troubleshooting and identifying solutions? Are you mechanically inclined and able to manipulate tools to perform repairs and maintenance? If so, a job as an HVAC service technician could be a perfect fit. As part of our team, you will manage multiple daily appointments to assist customers with everything from standard maintenance to more complex repairs. You can learn how to read system blueprints to install machines, verify their function and provide customers with suggestions for improving the overall efficiency of their system. This job enables you to develop and strengthen critical skills such as time management, attention to detail and customer service. Your skillset will be invaluable to our customers as you assist them in maintaining a functional system with friendly customer support, dependability and integrity.
- Manage between 8 to 12 work orders each day, report to customers’ homes on time and arrive with a general knowledge of the type of work that needs to be done
- Consult blueprints, use a variety of tools and employ testing equipment to install new systems and run tests to verify everything is working properly
- Educate customers on system use, maintenance tips and techniques for damage prevention; provide insight and professional suggestions for optimizing system function and increasing overall efficiency
- Perform routine maintenance such as replenishing nontoxic refrigerants, replacing filters and vacuuming air ducts
- Diagnose problems using troubleshooting techniques and provide customers with viable solutions; replace defective parts, including blowers, stokers, pipes, discharge valves and other auxiliary components
- Install thermostats, dehumidifiers or timers, run tests to help customers identify appropriate settings and instruct them on proper use
- Utilize several types of tools, including electrical hand-tools, saws, drills and vacuums to properly install and place units in designated areas; ensure safe connection to all viable electrical components
- Document, in detail, the outcome of every work order, including what work was done, the system’s requirements and age and preventative maintenance
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent degree
- All applicable HVAC licensures by an accredited institution
- Customer service and time management proficiencies
- 3+ years of experience in working with heating and cooling systems
- Familiarity with a variety of tools and their use
With a well-written HVAC service technician job description in place, you are one step closer to finding a qualified applicant. However, that is only the first step. Next, your task is to advertise your posting in places where it will generate the desired interest. You may consider posting the job description directly on your website and using referral programs to find interested jobseekers. Social media advertising is another valuable resource.
For recruiters hoping to reach a large group of qualified candidates in a relatively short period of time, posting to online job boards is an excellent idea. Using keywords and phrases, candidates can filter information to find your posting quickly. Use MightyRecruiter to get started today and begin to see the benefits of free job postings.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter