Industrial designers are the creative and technically-talented people behind the manufactured products we use every day. They conceptualize new product concepts and detailed designs for things as varied as toys, cars and appliances. Industrial engineers utilize their engineering knowledge and artistic skill to create products that function well, are aesthetically pleasing and lend themselves well to being mass produced.
When you are writing your industrial designer job description, you want to be sure to include the need for computer-aided design (CAD) software skills because it is such an important tool in the ability to quickly and easily render designs into three-dimensional printed models.
Industrial designers also need to have fully developed problem-solving skills to troubleshoot design issues and develop alternatives. Check out this industrial designer job description template for more ideas on how to write your own.
Industrial Designer Job Summary
Do you like following a design project through from beginning to end? Are you an innovative designer who gets excited about creating products that extend the feel and look of a brand? Then you may be just the right fit for our open industrial designer position at Inspire Products. Our company prides itself on designing creative lifestyle products with practical purposes to make life easier for the consumer. This industrial designer position will focus on accessories for mobile electronic devices that are both smart and stylish. Reporting to the head of industrial design, the designer will be responsible for everything from the initial concept and design to the testing and subsequent manufacturing implementation of products. If this sounds like a good fit for you, apply today!
- Research industry literature, attend industry specific tradeshows and build a knowledge base of product trends through conversations with production, engineering and sales professionals which will lead to new product design ideas
- Work with clients in order to understand design parameters within defined product categories and research the demographics of consumer product use
- Create preliminary artistic drawings in the form of illustrations and storyboards of product concepts, present them to clients for feedback and creatively use the feedback to refine product design
- Use CAD software to refine designs and create virtual models of products
- Utilize 3D printing to create product prototypes that are both non-functional and working in order to evaluate their practicality
- Collaborate with a team of manufacturing professionals and engineers to evaluate product prototypes in order to determine production feasibility and costs
- Utilize computer-aided industrial design (CAID) software to instruct manufacturing equipment how to build the finalized product design and present to manufacturing department
Job Skills & Qualifications
- An analytical thinker who is energized by solving problems through design
- Baccalaureate degree in industrial design
- Robust CAD skills
- Independent thinker and worker who can easily adapt to a team approach
- CAID design and 3D printing experience
- Knowledge of engineering for mobile electronic devices
Now that you have written an industrial designer job description that includes everything you are looking for to fill the role, where do you post your open position? The first logical choice is the company website, but posting to your corporate website alone may not be the best choice in terms of the widest range of potential applicants being able to see your job posting.
With the multitude of job boards online, it can be discouraging to try to post on even a few of them because of the amount of time it takes for each one. As an alternative, you can use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free to hundreds of job boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter