Industrial engineering technicians are responsible for assisting industrial engineers with design implementation and creating plans for materials, machines and personnel to work together effectively. They have numerous duties, including preparing equipment layouts, conducting statistical studies, planning work activities and analyzing costs.
On your industrial engineering technician job description, you should include a skills section that details the attributes your ideal candidate should have. For instance, industrial engineering technicians should have outstanding analytical and critical-thinking skills to be able to effectively solve problems and analyze the effects of actions.
Also, mathematical skills are crucial for industrial engineering technicians. They use mathematical principles for design, analysis and troubleshooting of issues. Take a look at the industrial engineering technician job description template below to get a good idea of just what to include.
Industrial Engineering Technician Job Summary
As an industrial engineering technician with our local company, you will be part of a hardworking team of engineers where you will use your skills and knowledge to provide assistance with work activities. Your responsibilities will include designing new and innovative equipment and materials, testing products for functioning and quality and analyzing data to write reports. You will have the opportunity to utilize your exceptional design, problem-solving and technical skills while working in a team-oriented setting. This position is excellent for anyone who is goal-driven and searching for a company where they can grow.
- Help design materials and equipment, and recommend adjustments to operation, layout and material-handling methods to increase productivity and production and to ensure all standards are met
- Ensure equipment is maintained and operated according to safety and quality-assurance standards, and monitor worker performance
- Interpret drawings, formulas and schematic diagrams for both engineering and management staff members
- Test products at certain stages during the process of production to ensure they properly adhere to performance specifications
- Gather and analyze statistical data to figure out if products are reliable and of high quality, and make suggestions on where improvements could be made
- Analyze and improve systems currently in place to make decision-making and planning efforts more efficient
- Create and maintain spreadsheets that will be used by other departments for making improvements in quality and productivity
- Monitor the manufacturing process and advise management on ways in which they can minimize costs and maximize current resources
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Associate degree in engineering or related field
- Must be precise and accurate
- Ability to multi-task well
- Highly motivated with excellent problem solving skills a must
- Previous experience as an engineering technician
- Experience using CAD
Industrial Engineering Technician Job Responsibilities
When jobseekers review listings, they often move directly to the job responsibilities section. This part of the industrial engineering technician job description should be the most comprehensive to help candidates assess the day-to-day expectations and responsibilities. You’ll find that your listing is more effective when you’ve spent time honing the description of responsibilities so that applicants are well-aware of what to expect. You can make it easy for jobseekers to recognize if they meet the requirements by incorporating the most essential responsibilities for the position.
As you consider the various industrial engineering technician job responsibilities, focus only on those that are unique to the field of industrial engineering. In other words, eliminate those tasks that belong to many jobs, such as responding to emails or filing paperwork. Limit your list of responsibilities to six or eight points, and use a bullet format for easy reading. When writing out the industrial engineering technician job description, start each bullet with an action verb to give potential employees a chance to envision themselves at work.
Here are some examples of items to include in the responsibilities section:
- Interpret and implement engineering drawings, formulas and schematic diagrams
- Collaborate on work assignment plans, incorporating machine capacity and production schedules
- Prepare graphs and diagrams to share layout, routing and workflow
- Gather data to determine the best process improvement activities
- Troubleshoot problems with manufacturing operations
- Establish a standard production rate for maintenance performance
Industrial Engineering Technician Job Specifications
A strong industrial engineering technician job description includes a vital credentials section that features qualifications, skills, education and experience most valuable to the position. Although you want to format this job qualifications and skills section into a short, bulleted list – which makes the section easy to read – it should be a complete record of the minimum requirements. With this format, jobseekers can quickly scan your chosen industrial engineering technician job specifications to determine whether they possess the necessary qualifications.
As you consider which qualifications or skills to include, consider talking to the immediate supervisor or the person currently filling the position. Ask which skills the candidate must have, but also get a selection of qualifications that can give a few applicants an edge. This will help you quickly determine whether or not an applicant has the experience you’re in need of.
Review some specifications or skills that you could include in an industrial engineering technician job description:
- Ability to read blueprints, drawings, schematic diagrams and other relevant documents
- Understanding of bills of materials relating to raw materials, sub-components and parts
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with assembly and manufacture
- At least 18 years old with a high school diploma
- Familiar with computers and able to use industry software; experience preferred