Industrial production managers are in charge of overseeing production facilities. They may manage employees, assign tasks, maintain records and handle any issues that may come up. It is the manager’s job to ensure that all production on his or her shift is efficient while producing the best possible product quality.
As you put together your industrial production manager job description, you will want to highlight the importance of good communication skills, an attention to detail and leadership ability. Potential candidates need to be aware that a manager should be able to work with a range of people and have excellent skills in troubleshooting and problem-solving.
An industrial production manager should also be skilled in production with experience in being responsible for other workers. To discover how to craft your own job ad, take a look at the following industrial production manager job description.
Industrial Production Manager Job Summary
Looking for an experienced industrial production manager who is ready to become a vital part of a medium-sized production facility. You will work with a team of managers who cooperate their efforts to ensure lines stay on target and downtime is minimized. We look to our managers to provide excellent leadership while overseeing employees to ensure safety and a high production quality. Put your organizational and people skills to work in this exciting career with potential for growth and advancement to senior management positions. We value our employees through offering a safe and supportive work environment with incentives and bonuses available as part of the employment package.
- Review production schedules and use them to create employee work schedules, manage inventory levels and ensure production is on track based on current orders
- Oversee employees work, including hiring, training and managing disciplinary incidents
- Troubleshoot production issues and work with maintenance crew and other administrative staff to resolve production issues and minimize waste when possible
- Create systems to monitor production quality, maintenance and overall operations, along with producing accurate records based on the information collected
- Maintain budget and manage staffing, production and other details to ensure costs stay within the set limits
- Enforce company policies and ensure standards are maintained, including that all disciplinary actions are conducted in a fair and equal manner
- Train employees on safety procedures and ensure they follow all guidelines and use all safety equipment provided, along with addressing any safety issues as soon as they are reported or become apparent
- Communicate with department heads about employee, production and inventory concerns, issues or statuses to ensure upper management is kept updated on current conditions on the production floor
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Three years of experience working in industrial production
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Management experience
- Computer proficiency
- Professional communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Bachelor’s degree in an area related to management
Industrial Production Manager Job Responsibilities
Ideally, you would prefer that every new hire is fully prepared to step into his or her new role and perform it optimally without you having to dedicate significant resources to training. Some may tell you that unless you are constantly promoting from within, that is impossible; however, it is not so if you are able to craft the right industrial production manager job description. Such a description should give applicants enough information to understand exactly what the roles and responsibilities of your position are.
To get an idea of how to write an effective industrial production manager job description, do not be afraid to go online and research similar job postings. Put yourself in the position of the applicant and decide what elements in each listing are most enticing, and then incorporate them into your own description. One thing that you will likely notice through such research is that when detailing your industrial production manager job responsibilities, you should be as succinct and clear as possible. Avoid lengthy paragraphs, and instead present the information as easy-to-read bullet points.
Listed below are some sample job details for you to consider when writing the responsibilities section of your description:
- Direct and coordinate all production floor efforts for the part fabrication division
- Maintain staff workflow schedule and daily operating logs
- Accompany facility engineers on routine equipment maintenance checks
- Record and report all production output to plant operations director
Industrial Production Manager Job Specifications
Job market research shows that online job postings often average as many as 200 applicants. You and your human resources team simply do not have the time to review that many applications extensively. Yet with the right information, your industrial production manager job description can assist with the screening process. By establishing a baseline criteria that all applicants must meet in order to warrant serious consideration, you can automatically eliminate a certain number of candidates.
Be careful, however, that you do not allow the qualifications and skills section of your industrial production manager job description to completely dictate your decision. The ideal applicant might not check off every box that you have listed as your criteria but still possess a skill set that would allow him or her to thrive in the position. How do you keep such a candidate from falling through the cracks? Create your own qualification algorithm that can serve as an indicator for success. For example, if you have five required qualifications and three preferred criteria, consider all candidates that meet at least three of the required criteria and one of your preferred qualifications.
Use the following list of skills as a reference when developing your industrial production manager job specifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or five years’ supervisory experience in a production-related field
- Working knowledge of industrial facility safety protocols and regulatory compliance guidelines
- Demonstrated familiarity with all of the applications of the Microsoft Office suite
- Excellent leadership and delegation skills