The biggest part of an industrial truck operator’s job is driving large trucks long distances in order to transport goods or other resources. They are responsible for keeping on a strict schedule to reach their destination on time. They must be organized when departing and arriving to ensure all administrative tasks are completed for their goods to be shipped and received.
The majority of skills that should be included on your industrial truck operator job description are physical. They must have strong attention to detail, excellent perception and endurance, and good hand-eye coordination. They must be aware of their surroundings and have good physical health and strength.
Of course, it is also vital that industrial truck operators are familiar with the equipment they use and be able to perform repairs and maintenance on the road. The following industrial truck operator job description shows how to emphasize these requirements best.
Industrial Truck Operator Job Summary
Our industrial truck operators are at the heart of our shipping company. It may not be a glamorous job, but we highly value the dedicated and talented mechanical experts who can operate the complicated trucks to deliver our products across the nation. You are our business’ eyes and ears and are responsible not just for operating and driving the truck for weeks at a time but also maintaining it on the road and ensuring it is in perfect working condition at all times. You are organized and familiar filling administrative tasks for when shipments are being loaded, departing and being received.
- Operate industrial sized truck on the road, staying in control of the machinery at all times and following strict safety measures to prevent accidents
- Navigate across multiple states precisely, following preset routes to minimize fuel consumption and keeping a vigilant eye for required exits and junctions
- Create schedule prior to departure, establishing the most optimal route and providing reasonable estimates for the trip timeline.
- Inspect shipment closely, making sure that it is packed correctly for a journey of multiple weeks
- Perform maintenance on industrial truck before and after trips, as well as on the road during shipment process, which includes lubrication, fueling, recharging batteries, cleaning machinery, replacing broken parts and refilling fluids
- Load and unload shipment manually alongside loaders, operating forklifts and other industrial equipment whenever it is required
- Create reports of any unusual behavior the truck was exhibiting during a trip, including potential mechanical issues and their respective solutions
Job Skills & Qualifications
- One year experience operating an industrial truck minimum
- Fully licensed and trained to operate an industrial truck
- One year experience as diesel mechanic or other mechanical engineering position
- High school diploma or GED completion
The first step of attracting talented candidates for your industrial truck operator position is creating the job description. It is important to realize that even the strongest job description will not do any good if no one sees it. That is why it is nearly as important to make sure you post your new job description in the right places. There are always going to be many companies hiring alongside you, so the key is to find a way to stand out from the crowds and reach a wide audience.
While posting your job opening on your website and through social media are excellent options, one of the best outlets to display your industrial truck operator job description is online job boards, which reaches a huge audience that is looking for work. To post on hundreds of online job boards simultaneously, turn to MightyRecruiter and our free job posting tools.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter