Information record clerks perform clerical duties that include filing and organizing records and collecting information. Clerks may maintain computer systems and/or paper filing systems. They also sometimes act as public liaisons, answering questions and providing information upon request to the public or company employees.
An information record clerk job description should explain the importance of organizational and communication skills in this position. You should also note that clerks often have access to confidential information, so they must be trustworthy and possess integrity.
Clerks usually do not need a degree but will undergo on-the-job training. Advancement into other administrative positions may be possible. To learn more about what to include in your information record clerk job description, please review the following example.
Information Record Clerk Job Summary
We are looking to add a personable, reliable and trustworthy information record clerk to our busy office staff. If you have exceptional organizational skills, a drive to work in a fast-paced environment and skills with computer record management, then you may be the perfect fit. You should be experienced in working in an office environment and have strong customer service skills. You also should be open to learning our filing and records system through a two week, in-office training program. We offer the chance to advance into more senior-level administrative positions within the office, along with providing a friendly and vibrant work environment.
- Process, file and organize records and files according to company policies and procedures in both computer and paper filing systems
- Provide customer service to individuals requesting information while also following company guidelines and observing any legal restrictions on information sharing
- Operate telephone systems to answer and route incoming and interoffice calls, along with taking and delivering messages, scheduling appointments and managing call routing based on requests and company policies
- Research records upon request and maintain logs of requests by tracking the movement of files and information through schedules and calendars to ensure no records are lost or misplaced and that they are returned when borrowed
- Preparing new files and setting them up in both the computer and paper systems according to company procedures to ensure information is complete and files are included in all systems
- Assist with the management and routine assessment of inventory and supplies
- Compose correspondence to external and internal parties as requested
- Charge, record and process payments or fees by cash, credit card or check for information requests
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- Clean criminal background
- Excellent typing and computer skills
- Experience or skills in using general office equipment, including telephone systems, copiers and fax machines
- Experience in a clerical or customer service position
- Physically able to lift up to 25 pounds
- College degree in a related field
As you construct your information record clerk job description, keep in mind that it needs to be well-written, clear and detailed. Providing potential candidates with all the necessary information can help to find the right person to fill the position. You also need to make sure that you are posting the ad on your social media pages and website, along with posting to job boards.
Job boards are very popular with people looking for employment, so they are a must when it comes to posting your job ad. However, the posting process can be very time-consuming. To make the most of your time and still ensure your ad is seen by the most people, use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free across hundreds of boards at one time.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter