Writing a good job description is a significant part of recruiting the top performers for your organization. As a recruiter or employment manager, you don’t want to spend a huge amount of your day wading through mounds of resumes from people who are either not qualified for the job or who don’t have a definite perception of what the job entails. A well-written job description enables you to avoid this from occurring. To assist you in drafting a position description that will attract qualified candidates, we have included an Information Systems Manager job description sample below.
Information Systems Manager Job Summary
You will manage our growing warehouse and corporate technical infrastructure. You also will coordinate, lead, and supervise a team that maintains our network infrastructure, computer equipment, barcode scanners, printers, and other data processing functions. You’ll be responsible for troubleshooting hardware and software issues, both remotely and on-site. As a central member of the corporate infrastructure unit, you will have an essential part in designing and rolling out of any and all technology initiatives company-wide.
Information Systems Manager Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Efficiently creates reports, dashboards, programs, BAMs, and BPMs
- Creates add-on applications to perform small features on top of ERP system
- Installs, documents, and tests software and hardware upgrades
- Supports multiple software and hardware systems throughout the organization
- Offers leadership, coaching, and training to manage staff performance
- Participates in planning and designing appropriate technologies to meet the evolving needs of the business
- Responsible for product development, database administration, and application support to support all users
- Manages all information systems policies and documentation including backup strategies, user training materials, network maps, and security policies
- Makes technology-related recommendations and decisions for hardware and software acquisition
Information Systems Manager Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, business administration, or related field
- 5-7 years of advanced Universe and Microsoft SQL Server development experience
- Strong background with Avante, Epicor Manfact, or similar ERP system
- 5+ years of experience writing, queries, reports, and screens
- 2+ years of experience providing desktop and application support
- Cisco or CCA certification, or equivalent experience
- Able to work with mathematical concepts such as statistical inference and probability
- Demonstrated ability to achieve individual and team goals
Media Professionals LLC has been serving clients since 1994. As a well-established industry leader, we have developed a stellar reputation for providing our global customer base with first-class products. Our organization serves a diverse range of consumers because our founders have extensive backgrounds in corporate business and technology. This accounts for our core value of dedication to superior service. We have developed an extraordinary technological infrastructure that enables us to combine database resources with an unwavering commitment to client satisfaction.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- While this Information Systems Manager job description sample is a good model, it is possible that you may not always find a template to follow. For those situations, we have listed some dos and don’ts best practices to ensure that you write a stand out position description the first time. Doing so will remove the chore of sorting through stacks of unqualified candidates.
- Do include information about your business. Potential candidates want to know a few details about your company’s history, such as how many employees you have and how long you have been in business.
- Don’t be ambiguous. There is no room for ambiguity when recruiting, starting with the job title.
- Do detail exactly what the successful applicant will do on a day-to-day basis. This enables job seekers to decide whether they have the necessary skills, experience, and attributes to perform the role successfully.
- Don’t use discriminatory language. The recruiting process should be void of all discrimination. Successful corporations hire from as broad a talent pool as possible.
- Do include salary ranges if it isn’t against company policy. All employees should be aware of the salary range, bonuses, and benefits offered.
- Don’t write a person-specific job description. Focus on knowledge, experience, and skills a candidate must possess in addition to what you prefer them to have.
The Information Systems Manager job description sample above is a useful example of how to draft a posting that will attract the best talent and inspire them to look into working for your business. Taking the time to create a great job description will help you recruit, hire, and retain quality members for your team.
Information Systems Manager Job Responsibilities
In order to attract the best talent for your company, your information systems manager job description needs to include detailed and specialized job responsibilities. This portion consists of the bulk of your job description but should ultimately be concise, readable and focused. In this section, provide a list of 6-8 specific tasks that illustrate your expectations for the position. They should go beyond daily duties like attending meetings and sending emails and instead focus on active responsibilities that are unique to the role.
Your bullet list should be easy to digest yet thorough enough that you can attract qualified candidates. Avoid overloading your information systems manager job description with too many responsibilities, as you may make the opportunity seem less desirable. Be sure to focus on important tasks, such as system monitoring, as well as the role the manager plays within your company.
Here are some typical information systems manager job responsibilities that may be relevant to your situation:
- Perform system backups and plan emergency data recovery methods
- Configure network and email clients with antivirus protection
- Monitor system performance and implement adjustments when needed
- Resolve network diagnostic issues and conduct performance review
- Attend technology seminars and research new network platforms
Information Systems Manager Job Specifications
The job qualifications and skills section of your information systems manager job description requires more than basic experience and education. You want to use this section to weed out both under- and overqualified jobseekers by establishing your expectations of the ideal candidate. In addition to the basic traits, be sure to include job-specific requirements, such as IT leadership experience, specific program competencies and communication skills.
When assembling the specifications for your information systems manager job description, you want to create two separate skills lists: required and preferred. The required skills are necessary of all candidates and can help reduce the number of underqualified applicants. Generally, these include years of experience, education level and certain abilities. Preferred traits are less essential and include extra training or certification and specialty skills. Your bullet list of skills should indicate which ones you require or prefer and put them in order of importance.
To gain a clearer picture of the information systems manager job specifications to include in your job description, check out the following examples:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or similar field
- Adept in VPN clients and network security protocol
- Proficient in systems analysis, diagnostics and repair
- Complex problem-solver
- Effective team coordinator