In order to hire the right person to work at your company, you’re going to need a solid job description. In your work as a hiring manager or recruiter, you often have several open positions at any given time that all need to be filled. You can’t afford to spend hours looking through the resumes of underqualified and uninterested people just to come to a candidate who at least fulfills the minimum requirements of the position. The right writing in a job description attracts those who are qualified and passionate about the work while discouraging those who are not, thereby doing a fair portion of your selecting job for you. To make sure that you are on the right track, take a look at our Information Technology Manager sample job description below.
Information Technology Manager Job Summary
As an Information Technology Manager for our company, it will be your job to manage the other IT staff members, working with them to research and implement strategic tech solutions to any issues that arise so that the company’s information technology continues to run smoothly.
Information Technology Manager Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Achieves great results with information technology staff by conveying job expectations, strategizing, overseeing and assessing results, acting as a mentor, counselor and disciplinarian, and implementing the procedures and policies issued by the company
- Keeps IT staff at optimal capacity by seeking out candidates, selecting the best ones and familiarizing them with the company’s procedures to promote a safe work environment, while also presenting opportunities for personal growth
- Maintains efficiency and effectiveness of the company by creating and presenting plans for bringing new information technologies into the workplace
- Organizes and oversees research subjects by examining plans, policies, and user projects as they relate to the goals of the company
- Conducts audits of currently implemented technologies to verify the results of their applications in the workplace
- Organizes IT department timetables and resources by coordinating with data center and user departments in order to complete projects
- Makes recommendations for IT plans and policies by assessing the results of the organization, finding issues, determining requirements and evaluating the feasibility of current industry trends
- Maintains asset quality through implementation of control structures, information security and procedures for back-up and disaster recovery
- Reaches the financial goals of the company by anticipating requirements, crafting a yearly budget, scheduling purchases, examining variances and taking actions to implement solutions
- Ensures high quality of IT service by creating and enforcing strong standards for the department
- Keeps job knowledge current by taking part in workshops and professional societies, reading professional publications and networking
- Encourages team dynamic among staff members
Information Technology Manager Skills and Qualifications
- Strong grasp of modern information technology systems
- Ability to manage an IT staff using effective teamwork techniques
- Information analysis
- Knowing when other departments need to be informed of an IT development
- Ability to identify strong IT staff candidates and recruit them
- Problem solving skills
- Management of data centers
- Knowledge of efficient budget development
- Formulate plans to stay at top of industry
- Quality standard enforcement
- Ability to cooperate with staff members and other departments
Since its introduction to the World Wide Web in 1999, Glober has been the go-to search engine for millions of internet users from every nation. Our purpose is to maintain our lead in the internet search industry while allowing our users to expand their knowledge of the world around them every day. Our mission is to push the boundaries of what is possible not just with web searches, but with other technologies as well.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter
Best Practices for Job Description Writing
- The above Information Technology Manager sample job description will no doubt serve you well as a blueprint for creating one for a similar position in your company. However, as someone who works in recruiting, the time will come when you must write one of these documents without such explicit assistance. Fortunately, we have a few principles for you that, when followed, should allow you to produce something great every time.
- Do mention any special skills or knowledge that is required to correctly perform the position. This helps to weed through the unqualified candidates before you look at any applications.
- Don’t use keywords at the expense of clarity. People use keywords to search for jobs, but you’ll turn people away if you use them too frequently.
- Do convey the culture of the business. You want individuals who will be able to fit in with the rest of the staff.