Sales representatives are professionals who implement selling and negotiation techniques to make sales to manufacturers, other businesses or individuals. Inside sales representatives specifically make these sales through phone calls, emails or methods that do not require them to leave the building. Unlike outside sales representatives, these professionals are typically not required to go on sales trips or meet with clients in person.
To attract the most talented professionals, you should include essential job requirements on your inside sales rep job description. Communication, customer service and sales skills are the most vital, so you should emphasize those most of all.
It can also be beneficial to include secondary attributes, such as critical thinking, decision making, self-confidence or leadership. While these skills are not at the core of the position, they are integrated on a daily basis. The following inside sales rep job description will demonstrate how to include this information.
Inside Sales Rep Job Summary
If you are charismatic and confident, we want you to join our dynamic team of sales representatives. As an inside sales rep, you will put the negotiation and interpersonal communication skills you have developed to good use, interacting with existing and potential new clients, building relationships and closing sales on a daily basis. You have the sales knowledge required to thrive in this field, so we are excited to welcome you. Our business makes a real difference in the world by providing medical equipment to local hospitals and smaller practices, so enter this fulfilling position to help the lives of everyone in your community.
- Contact current and prospective clients through phone calls and emails to explain products, including new developments, and create sales opportunities
- Respond to clients who contact our business, answering inquiries and providing information professionally and accurately
- Build new relationships and strengthen existing relationships to create lifelong business partners that will return for medical supplies for years to come
- Maintain working knowledge of all products we supply, being able to explain any aspect at a moment’s notice, and develop an understanding of new products quickly
- Recommend certain products to clients based on their specific needs and desires, putting the satisfaction of our customers above all else
- Utilize upselling techniques to increase the size of orders or encourage clients to try out newly developed medical products
- Monitor developments in the market or new technology in the medical equipment field to be prepared for market shifts
- Complete administrative duties after each sale, keeping track of products sold carefully
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent GED completion
- Two years minimum of working experience in customer service
- Bachelor degree in sales, communication or other related field
- One year working in sales
Inside Sales Rep Job Responsibilities
Outside sales reps are often credited with securing new clients and drumming up business, but a strong team of inside sales reps is just as important if not more so. An internal sales team should always be ready to court clientele, promote your company and boost the bottom line. With the right candidates, that’s exactly what you can expect, but finding them with an inside sales rep job description may seem challenging. Luckily, a well-written job responsibilities section can make your recruiting efforts much easier.
You want to cut down on applications from jobseekers who are a poor fit, and including specific and exciting inside sales rep job responsibilities can help you do exactly that. By clearly describing the day-to-day duties of the position in this large section, you can make it easier for potential candidates to envision themselves in the job, and it will help you attract the right candidates to the position. Use action words and bullet points to include between six and eight items in your inside sales rep job description. Here are some examples:
- Serve as clients’ designated point of contact for all sales support before, during and after the close of a sale
- Manage sales platforms through email, phone and social media in order to maximize reach of brand and optimize exposure
- Take incoming and make outgoing calls with prospective clients to answer questions, initiate sales and provide general support
- Discover new sales leads via client referrals, directories and promotional campaigns
Inside Sales Rep Job Specifications
Outlining the responsibilities associated with the job is a great place to start, but there is much more that prospective candidates need to know before they decide to apply. What else should you include in your inside sales rep job description to draw in the crème of the crop and deter undesirable candidates? Your job qualifications and skills section needs to tell jobseekers what you expect from them, and the inside sales rep job specifications are exactly how you will do that.
This part of your inside sales rep job description should indicate what the minimum criteria for the position are. If applicants must have at least a bachelor’s degree, for example, this is the section to specify such a requirement. You may wish to indicate both the required and preferred qualifications. This can help candidates further understand what you are looking for. You should write between four and six items in a bullet point following the format of this example:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in business or sales-related area required
- At least 3 years of experience in inside sales
- Proven track record of success in online retail marketing preferred
- Superior written and spoken communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail