A well-written employment announcement helps to narrow the respondents to a pool of the most qualified. The secret behind getting the best talent to send their resumes your way is presentation. Write about the opening in a way that makes it clear what the minimum standards are, so that prospective applicants can have a pretty good idea of whether their current skill sets meet your needs. Represent your organization in a way that makes it an attractive choice for people with options. Show them who you are and what you represent. Help them decide if their values mesh with your company culture. We’ve assembled this technical sales representative job description sample to serve as a helpful guide. Refer back to it when creating your own posting.
Inside Technical Sales Representative Job Summary
In this role, you will use solid understanding of sales techniques to drive revenues for the industry leader in intelligent computing solutions. You will solicit and obtain orders by developing relationships with decision makers and by following up on established leads. You will represent our array of software and hardware products through a deep understanding and interpretation of technical requirements and information.
Silicon CyberDynamics offers industry-leading benefits that include:
• Competitive salaries
• Company-provided healthcare
• Roth IRA and 401K
• Paid Time Off
• Tuition assistance
• Management development courses
Inside Technical Sales Representative Job Responsibilities
- Identifies sales opportunities by analyzing and summarizing information and trends related to the competition
- Develops new accounts by researching and identifying potential leads, soliciting new business, building connections, providing technical information and advice, and preparing quotes
- Uses telephone, fax, and e-mail inquiries to verify collected information and finalize sales
- Transfers orders to fulfillment to be filled. Communicates expected dates of delivery and explains stock shortages
- Drives continued sales by checking customer purchasing history, suggesting new and related products, and explaining technical features
- Maintains communication equipment by reporting and tracking problems, and participating in troubleshooting procedures
- Supports the delivery of quality results by following company rules and guidelines, and offering recommendations for policy and procedure improvements
- Keeps product knowledge up to date by studying item descriptions and participating in ongoing training
- Accepts ownership for maintaining and expanding sales and accomplishing all assigned tasks
Inside Technical Sales Representative Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, information technology, or related field
- Motivated and eager to succeed
- ClientBase experience
- Self-starter and fast learner who can adapt to an ever-changing environment
- Demonstrated ability to meet sales goals
- Creative and tenacious
- Prospecting, relationship building, and lead generation
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to overcome objections and refusals in a courteous, friendly way
- Professional interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Multitasker with ability to juggle multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced workplace
- Data-entry competency (40 WPM/10,000 KPH or better)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
The Singularity is here, and Silicon CyberDynamics is ahead of the curve. Our portfolio of artificially intelligent products has grown by leaps and bounds, encompassing hardware and software solutions that drive innovation for companies of every size, sector, and nationality. From humble beginnings in 1984 with a simple chess program, we have grown to lead the revolution in smart technology that promises not only to change the world of computing, but to change the very face of humanity. The future was yesterday. Join us in tomorrow.
Some Job Description Do’s and Don’ts
- Here are some best practices to keep in mind when you go about creating your listing:
- Do organize your information using bullet lists to make the content more readable and help keep potential candidates from feeling overwhelmed.
- Do provide a thorough depiction of the tasks and responsibilities the work will demand to help readers assess their suitability for the job.
- Do offer a comprehensive overview of your organization’s culture and values, so applicants can determine for themselves if they would fit in well at your company.
- Don’t resort to fuzzy or omitted details to make the position seem more glamorous or less involved in an effort to attract more candidates. The people you most want to apply won’t be scared off by an honest depiction of the role.
- Don’t overload the posting with keywords. Too much effort to optimize content for search engines can make your writing unreadable.
Want to use this job description?
Inside Technical Sales Representative Job Responsibilities
It takes planning to find the right fit for an open position. Save time during the recruiting process by developing the job responsibilities section of your inside technical sales representative job description. Pique the candidate’s interest in the position and organization with detailed information about the day-to-day tasks the job entails.
This section should be the most substantial part of the posting. Start off each sentence with an active verb, as this draws the candidate into the inside technical sales representative job description. Use 6-8 bullet points to develop the core duties. Generating a list that is easy to read, succinct and legitimate helps to minimize the number of unqualified candidates from applying for the position.
The list of inside technical sales representative job responsibilities is available to use as a sample:
- Develop a pipeline of customers who express interest in the product and prepare any quotes
- Answer any questions and provide basic product training to potential customers
- Stay abreast of market changes with technology and attend necessary conferences
- Complete market research for assigned territories and areas
- Work closely with marketing to determine what promotional materials to distribute
- Compile sales figures on a weekly basis and submit them to the marketing team
Inside Technical Sales Representative Job Specifications
Even though the inside technical sales representative job specifications come after the responsibilities, they are just as important. The job qualifications and skills section provides information about the experience a candidate should have to be successful in the position. Craft this list early in the recruiting process to help target the most qualified candidates. The more accurate and organized the list, the easier it is for the right candidates to see themselves in the new job.
To make the most of your inside technical sales representative job description, speak with a team lead or supervisor to get a better idea of the needs that should be met. Separate any traits that are required and non-negotiable from preferred qualifications that are nice to have. List any expected education experience, and make sure to include any soft skill requirements, such as interpersonal or communication abilities. If a background in a technical environment is a requirement, add this detail to the bullet list.
Here are some requirements that you can use as samples for your inside technical sales representative job description:
- A high school diploma; bachelor’s degree preferred
- 2+ years of experience in a technical sales position
- Excellent persuasion abilities and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to submit paperwork and data requests promptly with minimal to no errors
- Strong self-initiative, with the capacity to complete necessary tasks with minimal supervision