Common duties for an insulation worker include removing old materials and properly disposing of them. Usually, insulation workers put some type of padded lining in buildings or around heating and air conditioning units to improve the overall efficiency of the building. Someone in this position may also have to determine when plastic barriers are needed to protect the insulation from moisture.
As you write your insulation worker job description, think about the skills you want to see in a candidate. Dexterity, the ability to maintain coordination even when working in small spaces, is important for this type of work. You may also want to look for applicants with mechanical and math skills.
As teamwork is necessary for this position, good communication skills are key, as is the ability to follow instructions. Use our professional insulation worker job description template to get a better idea of the details you should include.
Insulation Worker Job Summary
Do you enjoy working with your hands to complete projects and collaborating with a dedicated team of specialists on a daily basis? If you answered yes to both, you would do well as an insulation worker at our company. In this position, you are expected to take out old lining materials, properly dispose of the used materials and put in new, better insulation. While these tasks may seem simple, you are also expected to read blueprints, communicate with other workers and keep a record of inventory to ensure all projects are done efficiently and to the correct specifications. There is an opportunity for you to gain more responsibilities on the worksite as you become comfortable with this job.
- Read blueprints and talk with supervisors at the start of every project to better understand the insulation needs for the specific building, based on the characteristics of the space and the heat-retention abilities of the materials
- Measure and cut insulation before any installation, so it will properly cover surfaces in walls, floors and ceilings, and around heating and air conditioning units
- Prepare surfaces for the installation of insulation by applying adhesives, metal pins, asphalt or cement
- Use tools, such as handsaws, tape measures, knives, scissors and power saws, as needed to prepare the insulation for installation
- Distribute insulation evenly in small spaces by using blowers and hose attachments
- Run blowers by moving controls and levers whenever foam insulation is the best choice for the project at hand
- Install plastic covers, tape, cement, asphalt mastic, canvas strips or sealants to finish and cover insulated surfaces and keep the material safe from moisture
- Follow proper safety procedures when removing old insulation that includes asbestos
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Comfortable working on scaffolding and ladders
- Strong verbal communication
- Ability to perform repetitive movements
- Strong decision-making skills
- Able to endure both hot and cold weather
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Familiar with North American Insulation Manufacturers Association 3E Plus
- Technical knowledge of project management software, such as Turtle Creek Software Goldenseal
When you need to fill an open position, writing a standout insulation worker job description is only the beginning of the process. Once you have crafted an informative and engaging posting, you need to make sure it is seen by high-quality candidates. This can be accomplished by pushing your description across the appropriate channels. If you really want to find a top employee, you should consider using more than one channel, such as online job boards, social media, email referrals and company websites.
For some recruiters, this part of the search for a new employee can be taxing, because you have to keep up with each individual job board. However, it does not have to be that way for you. You can post jobs for free to hundreds of boards simultaneously through MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter