Insurance sales agents are primarily responsible for selling insurance policies to new customers. They usually specialize in a specific type of insurance, such as automobile or health, although sales agents may also sell policies of multiple kinds. They are tasked with contacting potential customers in the attempt to make a sale, explain policy information and guide customers through the paperwork process.
Because sales agents’ responsibilities hinge on interacting with customers, the most important qualities that candidates should have are strong communication skills and self-confidence. You should highlight these attributes on your insurance sales agent job description to make sure it is clear to job seekers how important communication is.
Other qualities that should be emphasized on your job description include evaluation, analysis, organization, and administrative familiarity. The following insurance sales agent job description template shows some of the best ways to include this information on your own job description.
Insurance Sales Agent Job Summary
Insurance sales agents are the backbone of our auto insurance company. We value our agents highly because we value our clients highly, and our clients are not satisfied unless our agents are ready to help them. We are looking for an insurance sales agent who has excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as a passion for helping people. You should be organized, hard working, have a strong work ethic and be cheerful and excited. Our insurance sales agents should also be intimately familiar with auto insurance so they can answer any questions clients have and emphasize the selling points of our coverage.
- Sell auto insurance to interested clients through phone calls and in person
- Maintain working knowledge of all types of coverage and policies in order to relay information to clients clearly and efficiently
- Examine clients’ situation and determine their eligibility for auto insurance, as well as determine what their rates would be, taking deductions into consideration and explaining all these aspects to the clients
- Gather information from clients through paperwork and interviews, taking careful notes and entering organized data into spreadsheets
- Contact current policy holders to explain changes, request renewals, and relay information about how their policies grow and shift from one year to the next
- Customize policies to meet and surpass clients’ unique needs, listening carefully to their requests and concerns and addressing them professionally and tactfully
- Investigate damages to vehicles, putting a number value on the damage and exploring the coverage options that will best serve the client’s needs
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Associate’s degree in sales, insurance or other related field
- One year minimum working experience in customer service
- Familiarity with the insurance industry
- Bachelor’s degree in communication or related field
Insurance Sales Agent Job Responsibilities
Jobseekers will rely on the jo responsibilities section in an insurance sales agent job description. This substantive section should provide an overview of the most significant daily responsibilities and more extended goals of the role. The details you provide may reduce the number of applications you receive from candidates who are not interested in fulfilling the responsibilities of the position and allow qualified candidates to produce cover letters and resumes tailored for the job.
Organize a list of responsibilities using bullet points. You might start with the most essential tasks and move on through broader goals or less frequent requirements that are still important for jobseekers to know. This list does not need to mention every single task that a sales agent will need to perform, only the most significant and unique aspects of this role. Start every statement with an action verb to provide jobseekers reading the insurance sales agent job description a clear sense of what this job will involve.
As you prepare to write this section, review the following list of insurance sales agent job responsibilities:
- Sell suitable insurance policies to individuals and businesses after assessing needs
- Interview clients regarding their exposures to risk or liabilities and desired level of coverage
- Assist clients with comparison shopping for different policies
- Attend conferences and seminars to learn about new products and sales techniques
Insurance Sales Agent Job Specifications
Another vital component in an insurance sales agent job description is the job qualifications and skills section, listing those specifications a qualified candidate should possess or be able to demonstrate. You should also format this section as a bulleted list, which may be much shorter than the description of job responsibilities.
Try to distinguish the minimum requirements for a position from preferences regarding the background or skills of an ideal applicant. If you are uncertain about which qualifications are absolutely necessary and which are desirable, consult with an insurance agent or knowledgeable management.
Once you have a specific sense of the priorities of an agency or company, you will be able to organize this section to facilitate a smooth job search and hiring process. This list, along with the other sections of an insurance sales agent job description, should give candidates a clear sense of whether they should apply for an open position.
You might want to include some of the following insurance sales agent job specifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent required; bachelor’s degree in a related field like marketing or risk management preferred
- Certification to sell insurance in the state
- Verbal and written communication skills applicable to telephone calls and emails
- Exceptional sales skills