Insurance sales agents are primarily responsible for selling insurance policies to new customers. They usually specialize in a specific type of insurance, such as automobile or health, although sales agents may also sell policies of multiple kinds. They are tasked with contacting potential customers in the attempt to make a sale, explain policy information and guide customers through the paperwork process.
Because sales agents’ responsibilities hinge on interacting with customers, the most important qualities that candidates should have are strong communication skills and self-confidence. You should highlight these attributes on your insurance sales agent job description to make sure it is clear to job seekers how important communication is.
Other qualities that should be emphasized on your job description include evaluation, analysis, organization, and administrative familiarity. The following insurance sales agent job description template shows some of the best ways to include this information on your own job description.
Insurance Sales Agent Job Summary
Insurance sales agents are the backbone of our auto insurance company. We value our agents highly because we value our clients highly, and our clients are not satisfied unless our agents are ready to help them. We are looking for an insurance sales agent who has excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as a passion for helping people. You should be organized, hard working, have a strong work ethic and be cheerful and excited. Our insurance sales agents should also be intimately familiar with auto insurance so they can answer any questions clients have and emphasize the selling points of our coverage.
- Sell auto insurance to interested clients through phone calls and in person
- Maintain working knowledge of all types of coverage and policies in order to relay information to clients clearly and efficiently
- Examine clients’ situation and determine their eligibility for auto insurance, as well as determine what their rates would be, taking deductions into consideration and explaining all these aspects to the clients
- Gather information from clients through paperwork and interviews, taking careful notes and entering organized data into spreadsheets
- Contact current policy holders to explain changes, request renewals, and relay information about how their policies grow and shift from one year to the next
- Customize policies to meet and surpass clients’ unique needs, listening carefully to their requests and concerns and addressing them professionally and tactfully
- Investigate damages to vehicles, putting a number value on the damage and exploring the coverage options that will best serve the client’s needs
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Associate’s degree in sales, insurance or other related field
- One year minimum working experience in customer service
- Familiarity with the insurance industry
- Bachelor’s degree in communication or related field
Once you have created an insurance sales agent job description that you are sure will attract the most talented sales agents possible, you have completed the first step in the hiring process. Next, you must begin the task of posting your job description where the most job seekers can find it. It is typical to use social media and your company website to advertise the opening, but an even better solution is to post it to online job boards.
MightyRecruiter has tools available to let you post your job description to hundreds of online job boards all at the same time. This lets you reach the biggest audience of potential insurance sales agents as possible. Take advantage of free posting tools for your job opening by turning to MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter