Interpreters are skilled at understanding and speaking more than one language. Their daily responsibilities include converting data from the source language into the desired target language, carefully modifying material to account for the original tone and context of translated data, and communicating spoken messages with efficiency and clarity. They also compile technical terms into organized glossaries for reference in the translation process.
When considering what skills to mention in your interpreter job description, be sure to highlight interpersonal skills, because they will be critical when working with clients. Other important aptitudes are concentration, dexterity, cultural sensitivity and a keen understanding of written and oral communication.
Additional skills to include are the ability to listen and read, and familiarity with basic business functions including documentation, filing and customer service. This interpreter job description template demonstrates how to organize this kind of information.
Interpreter Job Summary
Are you passionate about speaking and writing in other languages? If so, a job as an interpreter could be just what you are looking for. As an interpreter at our headquarters, you will be assisting with the translation of important data from the source language into a designated target language. Your expertise will allow you to accurately translate words, original tone and meaning. You will be preparing materials for translation and have the opportunity to learn about formatting, documentation and filing. You will also have the opportunity to relay spoken messages, which will help you strengthen your interpreting abilities. This job could be the perfect fit if you are up for a challenge and enjoy helping others.
- Translate messages, live speeches, voice recordings and documents into another language, with careful attention to providing proper context, meaning, tone and technical wording
- Collaborate with colleagues to compile helpful information, including terms and definitions, into an organized glossary for regular reference during the translation process
- Honor outlined ethical codes to ensure sensitive and confidential information remains secure and protected
- Identify terms and words with conflicting meanings to determine which alternative provides clarity and reflects the original purpose of the message
- Verify, modify and edit translations to compensate for discrepancies in technical terms and to guarantee that the final content is consistent with original material
- Consult dictionaries, encyclopedias and terminology compilations to remain educated and current with the meaning of words and phrases
- Analyze audience members and listen to debriefings on what materials will be translated, to best assess how to present interpreted data
- Document changes to translated materials, and maintain an orderly method for filing data for reference later on
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field
- Proficiency in the English language
- Written and verbal fluency in at least one non-English language
- Interpersonal skills
- Strong understanding of written and oral communication
- 5 years of educational study in another language
- Familiarity with using technology for translation
Wrapping up the final draft of your interpreter job description is only the starting point to finding someone who will fit the position perfectly. The next step is equally as important: posting your information to places that are professional and capable of drawing the attention of qualified candidates. Website advertisements, social media posts, job fair participation and even some referral programs are excellent choices for information sharing.
Online job boards are also incredibly beneficial to post to in order to provide immediate visibility to interested jobseekers. You can post jobs for free with MightyRecruiter to hundreds of boards to get you started on the path to discovering an interpreter who is enthusiastic and passionate about the job.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter