IT business analysts serve as the bridge between business and information technology. They determine a company’s IT requirements, analyze and document those requirements and work with a development team to build a functional solution.
Analysts work to align business goals with software requirements, but some positions focus more closely on the technical requirements for software implementation, while others work with the business side to determine software solutions. Be sure to explain what the main focus of your position is in your IT business analyst job description.
Some positions will require IT business analysts to have specific technical knowledge or experience that will narrow the field of qualified applicants, so it’s important to include any specifics about what technology you expect a new employee to be familiar with. Read over the IT business analyst job description template below for more ideas of what to include in your job posting.
IT Business Analyst Job Summary
As an IT business analyst with our company, you’ll work with the IT department to design, create and implement the necessary technical requirements and software specifications that ensure the business side of things can run smoothly and efficiently. We’re looking for a strong communicator who can collaborate with department heads throughout the company to determine the specifications that will simplify their daily tasks. With that information in hand, you’ll turn to the IT department for the work of building our software systems to meet those specifications. If you’re a creative problem-solver with a technical mind and an eye for detail, you’re the right person to join our team.
- Meet with department heads and other employees to determine software and hardware needs, conducting in-depth interviews and observing work processes to seek out any problems that need solving and determine areas of potential improvement
- Act as liaison between business department heads and the IT department, translating the requirements of each department into a workable set of specifications
- Work with IT department to develop and deliver software system upgrades and improvements in a timely manner and ensure all systems function properly
- Keep up to date on the newest technological developments; help business stakeholders anticipate future software needs and determine how work will change to fit future technological developments
- Schedule and conduct regular testing of software components and work with IT and business teams to create functional solutions when issues arise
- Respond to questions and concerns from business department heads and employees who use the company software
- Keep detailed logs of all issues and suggestions and work to determine creative solutions
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business, information technology or a related field
- Minimum of three years’ experience as a business analyst
- Strong communication skills and an ability to translate software needs into reality
- Experience in software development and implementation
- Deep understanding of information technology design
Once you’ve written a strong IT business analyst job description, you’ve done the hardest part of finding qualified applicants for your position. However, those potential applicants won’t make it in the door unless they see your job listing in the first place.
Sharing your job in local media and business publications will garner a small pool of candidates, but to improve your chances of finding the right person for the job, you need to place your job listing on the major online job boards. Determining the right job sites to use and posting to each one individually can be a time-consuming process, so let MightyRecruiter take the burden off your hands with free job postings to hundreds of online job boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter