A good job description is to the hiring process what a good grant proposal is to the funding process. When recruiters put out job descriptions that include all the right elements and none of the ones that should be avoided, they are making it easy to be approached by the top talent in the applicant marketplace. The following Java Developer job description sample is an example of what a well-designed and thoughtful job posting might look like. While there are, of course, many variations on this theme, it is important for recruiters to get the structure and layout of an ideal job description just right. The more your job description says about your company and the position available in as few words as possible, the better.
Java Developer Job Summary
As a Java Developer, it will be your job to develop information solutions for users. You’ll be expected to create, implement and troubleshoot Java related elements and interfaces. You will interact with users and other team members on a regular basis.
Java Developer Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Analyze user stipulations and define system objectives.
- Envision the ideal functionality and features of the system.
- Format and create user interfaces for internet applications.
- Set the standards for design guidelines.
- Program using appropriate technical languages and software products.
- Recommend solutions and distinguish advantages and disadvantages of alternative systems and products.
- Establish connectivity with networks, servers and search engines.
- Integrate applications through database design and scripting.
- Use design tools to create multimedia applications
- Contribute to team efforts and support system users by developing help features.
- Organize system requirements, updates and activities.
- Update relevant information through research, taking advantage of continuing education opportunities, researching professional journals and engaging in professional advancement.
- Take on customized and individual requests for accomplishing various tasks.
- Add value to job and professional accomplishments by engaging in appropriate opportunities.
Java Developer Skills and Qualifications
- BS/MS degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science
- Hands on experience in software development and Java development
- Capable in Object Oriented Design, Web User Interface Design and Multimedia Content Development
- Insight on Java and JEE Internals
- Proficiency in software debugging preferred
Zebra Data and Systems Management has been headquartered in the Pasadena, California, area since 1995. Now with 70 employees and a growing workforce, Zebra continues to achieve its mission of advancing small-scale data and systems management and is considered to be the best in its class of employee and client-oriented Java development practices.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- The above is only one way that a Java Developer job description sample can be laid out; there is no one right way to do it. There are, however, a set of principles that make for a winning job description in any scenario. Here are some of these best practices.
- Do be as explicit as possible when outlining the daily duties and responsibilities involved in the position. For best results, use strong action verbs to start off the description of each responsibility.
- Don’t include any responsibilities that the employee will be only asked to perform very occasionally, as these will not be as relevant.
- Do lure your reader in by touting the unique benefits and perks inherent in your company’s culture.
- Do include your company’s location or headquarters within your description of it, and state whether telecommuters are invited to apply for the position or not.
- Do use bullet points when listing the skills and qualifications of the applicant or the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Don’t use more words than you absolutely have to. Since most potential employees only spend a minute or two looking over a job description, it is important to engage your applicant quickly and using the fewest words possible.
- Don’t forget to include a call to action, which makes it easy for applicants to see, at a glance, how they can apply and when they must have their application in by. You may also include a start date for the position in this section, which will provide further incentive for your applicants.
Abiding by the above guidelines will ensure that your Java Developer job description is as effective as possible in bringing in valuable potential employees who are bound to grow into mutually rewarding relationships with your company.
Want to use this job description?
Java Developer Job Responsibilities
It can be challenging to write a Java developer job description that will get you the most relevant and qualified applicants. This is because there are many subsets within Java development that could go by the title of Java developer. It is imperative to include in-depth and specific details in the job responsibilities section of your Java developer job description so that you attract applicants that are the best fit for your particular open position.
Because chances to work on new applications and technologies appeal to career IT developers, include information about what new projects a new hire will get to work on. The more that a position can contribute to a developer’s career development the better, so describing how the position fits into the big picture of the company is a great way to boost the desirability of the position.
Good organization of the job responsibility list is necessary to boost readability of this section. Include no more than six bullet points and list them according to importance. Here are some examples of Java developer job responsibilities:
- Leverage Java/PLSQL inside a Linux architecture
- Execute both software development and production support tasks
- Coordinate software development and implementation across multiple teams
- Analyze system issues to maintain 24/7 functionality of the system
Java Developer Job Specifications
The job qualifications and skills section is your chance to explicitly outline the required skills, education and experience needed for the position to prospective job applicants. Since the range of expectations for such a position can be wide, it is a best practice for writing a Java developer job description to separate qualifications into required and preferred categories.
If you do not specify these categories in the job description, potential applicants may feel that they could not live up to the requirements of the position. Alternatively, they may think the unseparated list is irrelevant because it may turn into a long and rambling laundry list of every attribute under the sun. This can lead to qualified professionals avoiding applying to the job, while you receive applications from a surplus of unqualified applicants.
As with the responsibilities section of the Java developer job description, it is a good idea to utilize bulleted lists for both the required and preferred categories. Here are a few sample Java Developer job specifications to help you complete writing your job description:
- Minimum of six years of Java experience required
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or Engineering
- C++ skills in a Java environment preferred
- Strong understanding of the technical design and development of database components and their functionality