The overall importance of a finely crafted job description to the hiring process cannot be overstated. Recruiters who come to the job market well armed with tightly written job descriptions are likely to have the greatest success in finding candidates who are talented, qualified and a good match for the organization that is hiring. The following Java Server Engineer job description sample will give you a solid foundation as to how a well-defined, clearly stated job description is written. By delineating each section of the description as its own distinctive element, the description covers all of the necessary information without being overly wordy or overwhelming. This is important, considering that most job candidates only spend one or two minutes reading over a job description.
Java Server Engineer Job Summary
A Java Server Engineer will be expected to create, implement and maintain Java-based software applications. You will be working with a team of other Java engineers and will be required to interact well with others.
Java Server Engineer Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Study systems operations, data management and data usage in order to assess the performance of various web interfaces and programs.
- Develop graphs, charts and diagrams to represent Java-based solutions to server issues.
- Create standards for system specifications concerning connectivity, security and performance.
- Apply and install Java programs to existing servers.
- Adapt custom designs to client’s needs.
- Troubleshoot and resolve operations problems that arise.
- Use test scripts to deal with validating server solutions.
- Conduct systems analyses and improve server performance and results.
- Identify current and future roadblocks and assess alternative solutions.
- Utilize prototypes to improve server solutions.
- Maintain professional relevance by updating operations, educating oneself about Java upgrades and improvements, participating in continuing education, subscribing to professional journals, engaging in professional networking opportunities and joining in Java-related professional organizations.
- Keep information confidential on behalf of clients.
- Gather, analyze and assess data to glean insight about problems and server issues.
- Complete related tasks as needed.
- Participate in a team setting to accomplish all goals together in a timely fashion.
Java Server Engineer Skills and Qualifications
- BS degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science required; MS degree preferred
- Proven experience in Java, software development and distributed computing
- Familiar with Java Beans, Java Servlets, JDBC programming, web programming and TCP/IP networks
- Skilled in software development processes
- Holds strong technical proficiency, attention to detail and technological zeal
Founded in 1999, Tobago Technologies boasts solutions-oriented programming systems that meet the needs of its hundreds of locally based and remote clients. Headquartered in Lebanon, Ohio, Tobago Technologies prides itself on an internal office environment that is flexible, hard-working and designed to meet the needs of its employees above all. Our mission at Tobago Technologies is to continue in our role as a world-class innovator in the software development field and to maintain and grow our relationships with our employees and clients.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- While the above is a great example of how to write a Java Server Engineer job description, it is not the only way to do it. There are many successful approaches to writing a job description, but the universal factors that most of them have in common are listed below in the form of basic dos and don’ts
- Do be sure to use bullet points to make the qualifications and the requirements of the job come across easily and clearly.
- Don’t forget to mention the company’s location or headquarters.
- Don’t reference salary and benefits without first referencing the company’s policies on these issues.
- Do distinguish between whether a certain skill or qualification is required and whether it is preferred.
- Don’t beat around the bush in terms of your language. The more direct, action-oriented verbs you can use, the better informed your reader will be and the less time they will have to use getting acquainted with the job description.
- Do use the job title and summary to make it obvious who – if anyone – the employee will be interacting with, working close to and expected to report to.
Follow these guidelines in order to give your company the best shot at attracting the most talented Java Server Engineers out there. By being honest and up-front about your company policies and corporate culture, you are likely to attract applicants that have self-selected to make themselves a good fit for the job.
Java Server Engineer Job Responsibilities
The responsibilities section of your Java server engineer job description is crucial for singling out the best applicant. Jobseekers are looking for clearly worded descriptions of the position they are applying for. Software engineering is heavily detail-oriented, and the employee you want is going to look for the same in the job he or she pursues. Your Java server engineer job responsibilities section is the most revealing section for this kind of applicant. Make sure to keep the list of responsibilities no more than 700 words long and be as specific as possible in your list.
Along with clarity, it is equally important that you write the responsibilities section with jobseekers in mind. Remember that you are trying to get their interest, not intimidate in hopes that less qualified candidates will stay away. Doing so will only scare off the best potential applicants for the job as well. Bring up important projects for the position, and if possible, include links to any relevant content that would get the right candidate excited about the job.
Look below for some examples of responsibilities listed in a Java server engineer job description:
- Develop software to obtain and stream content from various programs for clients
- Analyze data to determine whether to modify existing or install new software based on individual client needs
- Modify and repair existing software
- Consult with engineering staff and project managers to discuss progress and limitations
Java Server Engineer Job Specifications
The skills and qualifications section is fairly straightforward for a Java server engineer job description, but the simplicity can be misleading. While you want to make sure that jobseekers know exactly what you are after, you do not want a strong candidate to turn away due to a simple oversight in the importance of certain aspects of the job. Therefore, it is especially important to go over your list carefully with human resources or upper management. Order each of your skills and qualifications lists by importance. After you have managed that, split each section into subsections titled “required” and “preferred.” Use those subheadings in your actual job posting as well to keep it easy to read and understand.
Throughout the entire Java server engineer job specifications, make sure to exclude any points that may be unnecessary. Use bullet lists rather than full-length paragraphs, and keep each list to no more than six bullet points long.
Here are a few skills and qualifications you could include for a Java server engineer job description:
- Minimum of five years’ experience with Java development
- JAX-WS (XML/SOAP) & JAX-RS (REST)
- Apache Struts, Tomcat, CFX, Maven, MyBatis or iBATIS
- Dynamic analysis software
- Defect tracking software
- RPM Package Manager preferred