Jewelers and those who work with precious stones and metals help design, manufacture, maintain and repair jewelry pieces using gold, silver, platinum and gems. They’re tasked with creating and casting jewelry molds and then complementing those pieces with either center stones, jeweled accents or both. They polish and clean the items and also offer appraisals for insurance purposes.
The jewelers and precious stone and metal worker job description template shown here gives you a good idea of what you should be looking for in your next hire. Obviously, a demonstrated level of craftsmanship and manual dexterity is required for one to succeed in this role, as is a meticulous attention to detail.
An understanding of gemology is preferred, yet the jewelers and precious stone and metal worker job description shows that for those who don’t already have it, they must be willing to learn it quickly once they’re hired.
Jewelers and Precious Stone and Metal Worker Job Summary
Jewelry is almost always associated with precious moments in people’s lives. We’re offering you the chance to have a hand in creating such memories by joining our team as a jewelry and precious stone and metal worker. With this job comes the opportunity to handle and craft the most valuable materials on Earth as you help customers design pieces for important events, such as weddings, anniversaries, holidays and other special occasions. You’ll become familiar with gemology, chemistry and metallurgy, all of which are skills that can help further your career both in the jewelry business and other industries. You’ll also play an important role in protecting the pieces you help to create as you and our store manager collaborate to offer jewelry appraisals to present to insurers.
- Assist customers in designing jewelry pieces, including selecting the material for support settings, choosing the gems or minerals to be used as centerpieces and/or accents, and deciding upon design features
- Craft the molds to be used to create rings, chains and pendants, and cast them using the materials specified in individual work orders
- Cut, cleave and shave the stones and gems selected by customers to serve as centerpieces, using specialty tools, such as diamond saws and laser cutters
- Use precision instruments to calibrate pressure settings to ensure that center stones and accent pieces remain permanently affixed
- Cure pieces after measuring and sizing has been done to help solidify their structural integrity
- Clean and polish all finished pieces prior to being packaged and/or stored for customers
- Provide follow-up work for customers, such as cleanings and re-sizing, as such services are requested
- Inspect gems and settings for pieces created in-house or submitted for appraisal by customers to detail characteristics such as cut, clarity and quality
- Prepare written appraisals for customers detailing the estimated value of their pieces to be submitted to insurers
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- High school diploma (or equivalent certification) required
- Commitment to obtain gemologist certification inside of two years from start date
- Strong manual dexterity
- Excellent customer service skills
- Previous experience in jewelry design or sales
- Strong understanding of chemistry and geology
- Familiarity with appraisal techniques
With the help of the jewelers and precious stone and metal worker job description shown above, you’ll have all that’s needed to compose a listing that effectively communicates your expectations and requirements to interested applicants. Getting that listing in front of such candidates is your next challenge. Developing contacts within community job placement agencies is a good place to start. You may also want to consider placing your listing on online job boards.
Online resources ensure you the greatest exposure for your listing. However, if you truly want to cast a wide net with your search, you’ll have to understand the listing requirements and service fees for a number of different sites. One of the main benefits of working with services such as MightyRecruiter is that such work is already done for you. This allows you to know right away which sites offer advantages, such as free job postings.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter