A journeyman electrician works with installing, repairing and maintaining electrical set ups. An electrician reads blueprints to assist in working with electrical systems. Main job duties involve making repairs and troubleshooting issues.
In your journeyman electrician job description, you should include details about how the journeyman will work under the supervision of a master electrician. In addition, mention the importance of understanding safety procedures and the basics of electrical circuits.
Electricians should also have solid training and experience. When you are writing your journeyman electrician job description, you can use the following example to help you understand what to include.
Journeyman Electrician Job Summary
We are looking for a journeyman electrician to work on residential and commercial locations for our busy electrical company. You will get your own company truck and work under the direction of a master electrician. We provide great benefits and offer a steady work schedule. Some weekend and evening hours are required when you are on-call one week a month. You should have solid skills in troubleshooting and a good knowledge of proper safety procedures. We reward hard work and safety consciousness through incentive programs. If you enjoy working in a team environment where your contributions are valued, then please contact us today.
- Test electrical systems using tools that include voltmeters, oscilloscopes and ohmmeters to determine where issues may be occurring, the safety of the system and to ensure compatibility
- Document actions, testing results, observations, final diagnosis of the situation and steps taken to resolve issues for each job or situation
- Repair electrical issues by replacing or installing components, wiring or devices
- Determine the steps necessary to assess an electrical situation using testing devices, blueprints and maps
- Maintain a safe work environment by adhering to all company guidelines and OSHA safety requirements and also through reporting violations of policies, procedures and guidelines to immediate supervisor
- Use ladders, scaffolding, platform and lifts to work on electrical systems in residential homes, on roadside poles and in commercial properties
- Answer emergency calls quickly, assess the safety of the situation upon first arriving at the scene and provide directions to individuals affected by the electrical emergency to ensure their continued safety and comfort
- Maintain equipment to ensure it is in good condition and can operate or be used safely; report any issues to immediate supervisor
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Completed electrician apprenticeship
- Proficiency with the National Electrical Code and local codes
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Ability to read blueprints
- Must pass criminal background check and drug test
- Valid state license
- Previous experience working on residential and commercial electrical systems
Want to use this job description?
Journeyman Electrician Job Responsibilities
At the heart of an effective and attention-grabbing journeyman electrician job description is a well-written job responsibilities section. A detailed but concise list of the tasks and results the potential employee may be accountable for performing establishes proper expectations and helps attract the most highly qualified candidates. When crafted with clarity and accuracy, this portion of the journeyman electrician job description can communicate the complexity and essential functions of the position.
To develop a journeyman electrician job responsibilities section that enables candidates to envision themselves in the role, consider following a few important guidelines. First, it is helpful to list the information in a bulleted format. This structure presents the key responsibilities in an easy-to-read fashion without sacrificing detail or precision. Limiting the section to between six and eight examples also amplifies readability and helps prevent wordiness. Finally, use present-tense action verbs at the start of each line to really pack a punch.
Below are several examples of job responsibilities that may suit your needs.
- Perform inspections and maintenance on electrical systems to ensure safety and functionality
- Adhere to all applicable requirements, including safety standards and local codes
- Interpret diagrams, blueprints and other related drawings
- Inventory and properly track supplies, equipment, tools and machinery
- Communicate with customers and coworkers effectively to promote efficiency
Journeyman Electrician Job Specifications
The job responsibilities section may be the weightiest part of the journeyman electrician job description, but it is the skills and qualifications section that identifies the attributes necessary to fulfill those responsibilities well. By listing the specific requirements needed for consideration for the position, you can save energy, time and resources by narrowing down the pool of potential candidates to those who are a good fit for the role.
To help differentiate between the qualities that are critical to the role and those that are simply a plus, it is often helpful to organize the journeyman electrician job specifications in two different categories. Begin by making a list of all of the desired skills, education and experience you would like a candidate to have. After creating the initial list, sort through all of the attributes to identify those that you prefer, such as experience in construction, and those that you require by law or are crucial to job performance, such as a license or certification. Below are a few examples of job specifications that may fit your journeyman electrician job description.
- Minimum four years of experience in the construction industry
- Clean driving record and current license
- Active State of Texas Journeyman license
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Experience reading mechanical and electrical blueprints