A journeyman electrician works with installing, repairing and maintaining electrical set ups. An electrician reads blueprints to assist in working with electrical systems. Main job duties involve making repairs and troubleshooting issues.
In your journeyman electrician job description, you should include details about how the journeyman will work under the supervision of a master electrician. In addition, mention the importance of understanding safety procedures and the basics of electrical circuits.
Electricians should also have solid training and experience. When you are writing your journeyman electrician job description, you can use the following example to help you understand what to include.
Journeyman Electrician Job Summary
We are looking for a journeyman electrician to work on residential and commercial locations for our busy electrical company. You will get your own company truck and work under the direction of a master electrician. We provide great benefits and offer a steady work schedule. Some weekend and evening hours are required when you are on-call one week a month. You should have solid skills in troubleshooting and a good knowledge of proper safety procedures. We reward hard work and safety consciousness through incentive programs. If you enjoy working in a team environment where your contributions are valued, then please contact us today.
- Test electrical systems using tools that include voltmeters, oscilloscopes and ohmmeters to determine where issues may be occurring, the safety of the system and to ensure compatibility
- Document actions, testing results, observations, final diagnosis of the situation and steps taken to resolve issues for each job or situation
- Repair electrical issues by replacing or installing components, wiring or devices
- Determine the steps necessary to assess an electrical situation using testing devices, blueprints and maps
- Maintain a safe work environment by adhering to all company guidelines and OSHA safety requirements and also through reporting violations of policies, procedures and guidelines to immediate supervisor
- Use ladders, scaffolding, platform and lifts to work on electrical systems in residential homes, on roadside poles and in commercial properties
- Answer emergency calls quickly, assess the safety of the situation upon first arriving at the scene and provide directions to individuals affected by the electrical emergency to ensure their continued safety and comfort
- Maintain equipment to ensure it is in good condition and can operate or be used safely; report any issues to immediate supervisor
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Completed electrician apprenticeship
- Proficiency with the National Electrical Code and local codes
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Ability to read blueprints
- Must pass criminal background check and drug test
- Valid state license
- Previous experience working on residential and commercial electrical systems
Writing a professional, polished journeyman electrician job description is only the first step in attracting the right candidates to fill the position. You can have the best job description ever written, but if nobody sees it, then it won’t be much help. This is why you need to post it on your social media pages and website in addition to getting it on as many job boards as possible.
Job boards are where people go to look for jobs, so you cannot avoid posting on them. It is a tedious process to post to each board, though. Luckily, posting across multiple boards at one time is made easy when you use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter