A judge presides over a courtroom, hearing evidence, making decisions on motions, instructing juries and making rulings. The judge is responsible for assuring the law is followed and carried out in every case. Judges also read through court documents and may research legal issues.
In a judge job description, it should be clear that legal experience is required. Judges need to be fair and reasonable with an expert knowledge of the law. They should be able to maintain order in the courtroom and work with a variety of personnel to ensure each case is handled correctly.
It is important that a judge is a non-partial party in any case on which he or she is deciding so as not to allow emotions, relationships or other outside factors influence the final decision. As you create your judge job description, you can use the following example for insight into what to include.
Judge Job Summary
Erie County is looking for a judge to take over after the Honorable Judge Carl P. Rogan’s retirement. You would preside over the county court and be responsible for hearing criminal and civil cases. If you are passionate about the law and want to see justice done, then we need you on the bench. We have a nice mixture of cases, so your work will never feel redundant, and you can put your knowledge of various areas of the law to use every day. We strive for a teamwork-focused environment where you will receive support from the administrative staff and the county legal staff as needed. We are hoping this will be a long-term relationship, as Judge Rogan was with us for his whole judicial career.
- Read through legal documents to make determinations about pre-trial issues, motions and final rulings
- Assist with monitoring jury selection, along with instructing the jury and managing them during a trial
- Listen to arguments from plaintiffs and defendants to determine the facts of a case and come to a ruling
- Ask questions of witnesses and legal counsel to make the right decisions regarding issues that may occur during a trial or hearing
- Meet with legal counsel to discuss and decide upon objections, pretrial motions, evidence and discovery issues
- Determine proper sentencing, monetary fees and damages to be paid upon the completion of a case and hand down the ruling in the courtroom to the responsible party
- Monitor court proceedings to ensure all legal procedures are handled according to the law and make decisions regarding gray area issues, such as the use of cameras in the courtroom
- Write opinions and conduct legal research as needed to reach determinations or create written documents
Job Skills & Qualifications
- At least five years of experience practicing law
- Member in good standing of the state bar association
- No relationship to anyone in the county legal department
- Good moral character
- Proven record of pursuing justice under the law
- Background in criminal law
Creating a clear and professional judge job description is essential to finding the right candidates, but to attract them, you need to make sure you position your description in as many places as possible. It is a good start to post it on your website and social media pages, and you should also put it on job boards.
Job boards, like classified ads, are where people go to find jobs. You will likely find a great crop of applicants through posting on such boards. However, it is tedious to post on each one individually, so use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free across several boards at one time.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter