Lab technicians assist with a variety of tasks in a laboratory setting. They may collect samples of blood, tissue and body fluids, and then perform different tests to analyze them. Lab technicians use a variety of microscopes, cell counters, computerized instruments and automated tools to aid in their analysis. Other tasks may include recording data in medical records and maintaining medical equipment.
To be successful, lab technicians should have certain qualities, which should be included in your lab technician job description. Technicians ought to be very detail oriented because they must conduct procedures and tests exactly. They must also know how to operate complex equipment and be skilled in handling precise instruments.
Because lab technicians have to stand for long periods of time, they should have good physical stamina. To see how to incorporate these qualities into your lab technician job description, take a look at the following example.
Lab Technician Job Summary
Do you care compassionately for others? Are you looking to grow professionally? Our company is looking for a lab technician to help perform a variety of tests to use in the diagnosis and management of disease. You will work under the direction of the laboratory supervisor, but your ability to work more independently will increase with additional experience. We provide all necessary training, and we offer tuition assistance for those who want to continue their education. Experience and a proven record of results can lead to more complex testing opportunities and potential promotions to technologist and/or supervisor. We offer a full benefits package, including dental, vision and disability insurance.
- Aid in the chemical analyses of urine, blood and tissue samples using computerized analyzer or microscope; record any detected abnormalities in database using computer software
- Collect tissue and blood samples from patients using safe and sanitary methods
- Operate laboratory equipment related to the areas of microbiology, chemistry, blood banks, hematology, serology, urinalysis and toxicology; calibrate, set up, clean, maintain and test sterility of lab equipment; report malfunctions and order repairs and parts as necessary
- Follow standardized formulas to prepare reagents and volumetric solutions to combine with samples
- Use special electrical or mechanical devices to evaluate validity of test results; report results neatly, promptly and accurately; verify results with supervisor
- Maintain precise records; follow established quality assurance and quality control guidelines; follow HIPAA regulations and maintain strict confidentiality
- Keep up to date with training on new test procedures and instrumentation
- Cover holiday and weekend shifts in rotations, including day and overnight shifts as necessary
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Associate’s degree in clinical laboratory science
- Medical laboratory technician certification
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office
- State licensure within six months of hire
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of one year of related work experience
- BLS and CPR certification
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Once you have written your lab technician job description, you are on your way to finding the right employee. The next important step is to post the available position in a place where qualified candidates will see it. Some inexpensive ways to get the word out are to post the job description on your company’s website, ask your employees to refer applicants and take advantage of social media sites such as LinkedIn and Facebook.
Another good avenue to try is to post the position to online job boards. There are hundreds of these boards, which are popular places accessed by jobseekers. However, posting on each one individually can take a lot of time. Use your time wisely and use MightyRecruiter, which can post to free job boards across the internet simultaneously.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter