A labor relations specialist helps administer and facilitate work contracts between unions, employees and managers. Common tasks include drafting proposals, communicating between union leaders and company managers, and dealing with compensation and work environment complaints. Most labor relations specialists have a firm understanding of legal contract language and help create collective bargaining agreements to govern relations between managers and employees.
Strong interpersonal skills are essential in a labor relations specialist job description. It’s also important for candidates to have experience with labor contracts through formal education or work history in human resources or a similar field.
Excellent verbal and written communication abilities are extremely important for successful interactions with managers and employees. Candidates should also show strong decision-making skills, especially in relation to conflict resolution. Find out what other information to include in your job requirements by reading through the labor relations specialist job description template below.
Labor Relations Specialist Job Summary
We are looking for a detail-oriented labor relations specialist with a passion for creating a fair, positive working environment and facilitating communication between employees and managers. You will have a chance to create comprehensive labor contracts that ensure effective performance while upholding our company’s commitment to valuing every employee. We know how important our employee relations experts are to our success, and we encourage our team to innovate new ways to resolve disputes and improve cooperation between managers and employees. We place a great amount of trust in our employee relations team, especially during contract negotiations and grievance resolution, so you can look forward to competitive pay, excellent benefits and career advancement opportunities.
- Provide advice and guidance to management as needed during labor relations contract negotiations, including drafting proposals and facilitating meetings with union representatives
- Oversee collective bargaining procedures, including drafting, reviewing and modifying proposals, verifying legal contract terminology and suggesting additional rules and regulations as necessary
- Communicate effectively with managers, executives and union representatives daily to create positive working environment, address worker grievances and verify compliance with contractual protocols
- Analyze current work contracts and human resources policies to determine overall state of employee relations and make innovative changes to improve morale, efficiency and overall performance
- Manage labor grievances as needed by investigating circumstances of incident, validity of claims, adherence to contract policies and completion of resolution procedures
- Coordinate with HR and other departments to create and sustain positive employee relations and facilitate effective communications between employees and management
- Develop and present informational briefings for management to improve understanding of labor relations and promote improved contract and management solutions
- Assist management during crisis situations, such as labor strikes, to facilitate effective negotiations and resolve issues quickly
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in labor relations or related field
- Minimum 3-year experience in human resources or employee relations
- Strong decision-making skills with ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Exceptional verbal and written communications abilities with conflict resolution experience
- Detail-oriented and dedicated to meeting deadlines
- Professional training in labor law or collective bargaining
Ideally, finding and hiring the right employee for your company should be fairly simple, especially when you start with a well-written labor relations specialist job description. However, choosing the right place to post your listing can have a significant effect on the time it takes to complete the hiring process.
There are several available options for posting your job listing, including paid recruitment sites, free job boards, professional social networks and your company’s official web page. You may also consider adding a referral option for your current employees to recommend qualified candidates. Setting up all these different listings can take time, especially if you decide to post to all the available online boards. Simplify the process and dramatically increase your listing’s visibility among motivated jobseekers by allowing MightyRecruiter to post to free job boards for you.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter