Laundry workers oversee or operate dry-cleaning machines or washing machines for industrial or household items. These may include blankets, draperies, rugs, cloth garments, suede and fur. The workers may oversee other staff or work independently. Laundry workers use different techniques to wash and dry fabrics and materials of various colors, materials and sizes. They also may mark, sort, hang or fold articles before or after washing and drying.
The skills section of the laundry worker job description should include possessing strong attention to detail and a desire to work efficiently. The employees must also have a drive to work thoroughly without cutting corners, in order to properly care for each article.
To succeed in this position, a laundry worker needs the stamina to perform manual labor in an industrial setting, including lifting and carrying heavy objects. See our laundry worker job description template below for more guidance.
Laundry Worker Job Summary
Our state-of-the-art hotel is looking for a skilled laundry worker to come on board. Our friendly work environment makes us a sought after place of employment for those wishing to provide expert care to patrons and guests. In this position, you will be responsible for organizing, cleaning and sorting hotel linens, including sheets and towels. The position also requires you to use our provided cleaning materials to tackle items in need of extra attention. You will report directly to our housekeeping manager who will guide you through best practices and address any concerns in your department. This is the perfect position for anyone detail-oriented who enjoys working independently, takes pride in his or her work and has evening and weekend availability.
- Load articles into dry-cleaning machines or washers at regular intervals to ensure steady availability of towels and linens
- Regulate machine processes when starting washers, driers and dry cleaners; turn levels and valves to control volume of additives, specific cycles and temperature
- Lubricate equipment to provide light service to machines, and clean or change machine filters when needed; alert manager when machines are in need of professional repair
- Sort articles before cleaning, separating them by fabric, color, cleaning technique or dirt content for best results
- Sort and count articles as they are removed from dryers; hang, fold or wrap the articles according to requirements or personal attention to detail
- Remove stains on fabrics though application of bleaching powders and steam sprays
- Use a hand or machine marker to place identifying names or code numbers on dry cleaning or laundry
- Utilize portable machines or neutralizer solutions to tend to stained articles, through pre-soaking, spot-cleaning, sterilizing, scrubbing and drying articles as needed
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to stand, walk and stretch for long periods
- Excellent organizational skills
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Previous experience as a laundry worker
- Night and weekend availability
Laundry Worker Job Responsibilities
To find the best employee for your company, make the job responsibilities section the most in-depth part of your laundry worker job description. Decide upon the essential important daily tasks the prospective candidate will perform and use a bulleted list for ease of reading. Don’t get carried away, though. Keep the list a reasonable size with 6-8 bullet points. Jobseekers skim through many job listings and might skip a listing that takes too long to read.
Craft concise statements that start with an action verb. Not only does this lend clarity to the description, it helps the jobseeker imagine himself or herself doing the work. In addition to the day-to-day jobs, you can mention any special assignments or projects your company may perform, such as cleaning a sport team’s uniforms. This will set your laundry worker job description apart from the rest. Also list any training or opportunities for advancement that your company offers. Show the jobseeker that your company culture cares about the employee.
Here are some possible laundry worker job responsibilities you can use:
- Load, operate and unload washers and dryers
- Operate flat iron and steam pressers
- Drive a delivery truck
- Keep production records
- Function as a Disaster Service Worker when so assigned
Laundry Worker Job Specifications
Do you prefer your laundry worker to have experience or are you willing to train? The answer to this question and others determines what you put in the job qualifications and skills section of your laundry worker job description. Talk to your company’s human resource manager. He or she should have ideas about what to include. Consider items such as language skills, operation of machinery and physical demands. Be upfront with the jobseekers about the real demands of the job, and get better applicants as a result.
You may be tempted to shortchange this part of your laundry worker job description, but ultimately that only wastes your time. Applications from under- or overqualified candidates just clog up your inbox. Be specific in what background you want from the jobseekers. Make a bulleted list with the most important qualifications first. Clearly mark the skills that are only preferable. That invites more candidates to apply.
Check out this list of laundry worker job specifications for your consideration:
- Ability to perform simple math calculations
- Verbal and written fluency in English
- Ability to lift heavy items, up to 50 lbs
- Driver’s license
- Mechanical skills, with an understanding of how machinery operates
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred