Laundry workers oversee or operate dry-cleaning machines or washing machines for industrial or household items. These may include blankets, draperies, rugs, cloth garments, suede and fur. The workers may oversee other staff or work independently. Laundry workers use different techniques to wash and dry fabrics and materials of various colors, materials and sizes. They also may mark, sort, hang or fold articles before or after washing and drying.
The skills section of the laundry worker job description should include possessing strong attention to detail and a desire to work efficiently. The employees must also have a drive to work thoroughly without cutting corners, in order to properly care for each article.
To succeed in this position, a laundry worker needs the stamina to perform manual labor in an industrial setting, including lifting and carrying heavy objects. See our laundry worker job description template below for more guidance.
Laundry Worker Job Summary
Our state-of-the-art hotel is looking for a skilled laundry worker to come on board. Our friendly work environment makes us a sought after place of employment for those wishing to provide expert care to patrons and guests. In this position, you will be responsible for organizing, cleaning and sorting hotel linens, including sheets and towels. The position also requires you to use our provided cleaning materials to tackle items in need of extra attention. You will report directly to our housekeeping manager who will guide you through best practices and address any concerns in your department. This is the perfect position for anyone detail-oriented who enjoys working independently, takes pride in his or her work and has evening and weekend availability.
- Load articles into dry-cleaning machines or washers at regular intervals to ensure steady availability of towels and linens
- Regulate machine processes when starting washers, driers and dry cleaners; turn levels and valves to control volume of additives, specific cycles and temperature
- Lubricate equipment to provide light service to machines, and clean or change machine filters when needed; alert manager when machines are in need of professional repair
- Sort articles before cleaning, separating them by fabric, color, cleaning technique or dirt content for best results
- Sort and count articles as they are removed from dryers; hang, fold or wrap the articles according to requirements or personal attention to detail
- Remove stains on fabrics though application of bleaching powders and steam sprays
- Use a hand or machine marker to place identifying names or code numbers on dry cleaning or laundry
- Utilize portable machines or neutralizer solutions to tend to stained articles, through pre-soaking, spot-cleaning, sterilizing, scrubbing and drying articles as needed
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to stand, walk and stretch for long periods
- Excellent organizational skills
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Previous experience as a laundry worker
- Night and weekend availability
Writing a good laundry worker job description is just the beginning in terms of finding the right applicant for your company. In addition to utilizing traditional job search websites, consider posting the job opening on your company’s social media account or on other career-building sites such as LinkedIn. This way, you will attract not just active job seekers, but also passive seekers who are open to changing employers if the right job becomes available. Posting on multiple sites can increase your chances of finding the ideal candidate.
Use MightyRecruiter to post your job opening to hundreds of sites at once. This service cuts down on company time and eliminates the need to create identical job postings for different sites. With MightyRecruiter you can post to free job boards, attracting potential employees at no cost.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter