Leasing consultants usually work in the real estate or property management fields and assist potential clients by showing properties and negotiating leasing contracts. They also market to promote properties for lease. A consultant may take clients to see a variety of properties and provide support in decision-making as needed.
People in this industry should have excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Your leasing consultant job description should include a combination of administrative and marketing duties for a clear picture of the position.
A leasing consultant should be able to work independently and multi-task as he or she transitions among job responsibilities. Customer service skills are highly desirable, and a strong candidate should be able to handle lease discussions objectively. Mathematic skills could also be helpful in determining lease agreements. The below leasing consultant job description may give you more guidance as you prepare your job posting.
Leasing Consultant Job Summary
Do you enjoy meeting new people and participating in open houses? If you are a real estate fan and have the skills to assist renters with finding that perfect home, we are looking for you! We are announcing our leasing consultant position with our real estate firm. You will get to know many unique people in the community as you assist clients in the leasing department to find properties for short-term and long-term rental arrangements. No day will be boring as you spend half your time in the field touring properties and the other half in-office working on administrative functions and marketing. You will be working with a company rated in the top 100 for best employee benefits packages and satisfaction.
- Work directly with clients from initial contact to signed lease agreement for rental properties, focusing on customer service, problem solving and decision making
- Identify potential homes based on client criteria and show them to clients by arranging appointments with property owners and touring structures to determine suitability
- Create marketing strategies to promote leasing prospects to the community to find renters and establish contracts for occupancy
- Organize events to attract property owners and renters for networking and sales potential for real estate agency
- Staff office on rotating basis to provide information and resolve issues through telephone and email contacts
- Work closely with marketing department to create listings, and update available properties through MLS system and company website
- Negotiate leasing agreements to the satisfaction of both parties, in accordance with state leasing regulations and real estate statutes
- Attend departmental and office meetings on a monthly basis for team building and status report sharing
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- Excellent customer service, communication and interpersonal skills
- Organizational abilities
- Be a team player
- Speak fluent Spanish
- Previous experience as leasing consultant or in real estate
Want to use this job description?
Leasing Consultant Job Responsibilities
It can be daunting to write the job responsibilities section of your leasing consultant job description. After all, it’s jobseekers’ first impression of their prospective day-to-day duties and is the first area of the document that draws their attention. A first impression in such a document can mean the difference between a steady stream of qualified applicants and sparse candidates to choose from. To ensure the former, make sure you write this section in clear and succinct language.
The best format to use for this section of your leasing consultant job description is bullets. A bulleted format is a surefire way to summarize an otherwise large wall of text so jobseekers can quickly absorb a large piece of information. You should use between four and eight bullets, and begin each with an evocative action word to help jobseekers imagine themselves in the position. Though you should write this section in a thorough manner, don’t overdo it. Keep the ancillary duties of this position out of the responsibilities section and focus on primary obligations.
Here are some leasing consultant job responsibilities:
- Organize and coordinate property maintenance
- Follow up with prospective renters after showings
- Build relationships with prospective tenants in brief timeframes
- Organize prospective tenants’ information in a manner that is quickly accessible
Leasing Consultant Job Specifications
Many leasing consultant job description writers mistakenly underestimate the job qualifications and skills section of the document but it’s not hard to see why. This section is the smallest of all of them and consists of nothing more than a benchmark of standards to apply for the position, such as prior work experience and relevant education.
With this in mind, it’s important to remember that this section of the leasing consultant job description is as important as the rest. This small list of minimum requirements acts as a safeguard against the tidal wave of jobseekers missing the qualifications your company requires of all applicants. If poorly written, it can often mean disaster to your email inbox.
To ensure this doesn’t happen, you should sit down with your senior leadership and have a detailed conversation about their expectations for leasing consultant candidates. Be sure to outline the difference between the deal-breakers and the preferred skills and separate the two on the document. This will not only help you understand how best to write the document, but it will clarify to jobseekers their eligibility for the position.
These well-written leasing consultant job specifications should help in your writing process:
- Strong multitasking abilities
- Exceptional communication skills, particularly oral and written
- At least three years’ experience in real estate or administrative work
- High school diploma or equivalent