Legal support workers, such as legal clerks and paralegals, assist lawyers in the many tasks that sustain the optimal functioning of a legal firm. Legal support staff take on office administrative assistant tasks as well as organizing documents and files for upcoming meetings and trials. More advanced legal support workers can complete legal research tasks and assist lawyers in generating drafts of statements.
Legal support workers increasingly rely on technology to complete everyday tasks for everything from trial preparation to office management. In your own legal support worker job description you are planning to write, make sure to include information technology knowledge and expertise in the areas of spreadsheets, data management and research.
Excellent professional interpersonal communication skills are also necessary for a legal support worker to be successful. Take a look at the following legal support worker job description for ideas of how to write your own.
Legal Support Worker Job Summary
Do you like the fast-paced environment of a busy legal firm? Our position at Sloan and Perkins Law Firm may be just what you are looking for. As a general practice law firm, our attorneys specialize in everything from family to criminal law, so you will always have a variety of cases to work on. We seek a legal support worker to assist in managing the support tasks of our growing ranks of attorneys. Professional communication skills and excellent proficiency with technology is a must, along with an ability to adjust to changing deadlines. We offer a competitive compensation package along with paid professional development. Apply today to move your career into the fast lane!
- Gather the evidence and facts of a case through legal research at the attorney’s direction in order to assist the attorney’s trial preparation, and gather affidavits, formal statements and legal documents for case preparation by the legal staff
- Find the relevant legal opinions, regulations and laws relating to upcoming cases
- File all legal documents that are required to be sent to opposing counsel or the court itself
- Draft correspondence, contracts, reports and settlement documents and adjust work priorities due to changing deadlines
- Coordinate appointments with witnesses, clients and other lawyers for trial preparation as well as arrange details and schedules for trial days
- Utilize technological applications in order to conduct research, organize information and make it readily available for attorneys in email, spreadsheet and report form
- Take notes during attorney meetings and utilize to prepare drafts of agreements, financial reports or settlements, coordinating with other legal support staff as necessary
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Applicable legal clerk or paralegal training
- Extreme detail oriented research skills
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple tasks at once
- Prior legal firm work experience
Once you have your final draft of your legal support worker job description in hand, you will begin the job posting phase of your staff hiring project. There are many niche boards out there that can bring you exposure to the specific professional profile you are looking for, but they may not be looked at by many qualified individuals.
Broad-appeal online job boards can bring you more numbers in terms of people seeing your job listing, but are they all qualified? The best strategy is to post on both niche and general job boards to gain the widest amount of exposure and response. It could be a long process, but when you use MightyRecruiter, you can post jobs for free to hundreds of boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter