An elected or appointed legislator develops laws and/or statutes for governing the people depending on the position he or she holds. The laws are introduced and enacted if approved at the local, state, federal or tribal government levels.
Legislators should hold a bachelor’s degree and at least five years’ experience in law making. Stress in your legislator job description the importance of strong active listening and critical thinking skills, as this job requires hearing what constituents say and identifying solutions to resolve their concerns.
Legislators must also possess extensive social and communication skills, as they must discuss current issues and their plan to resolve them with the people and the governing body. They should have a full understanding of the legal process in which they work. For more information on what to include in your posting, view the sample legislator job description below.
Legislator Job Summary
If you’ve always dreamt of making a difference, a real difference, you should consider a career as a legislator. You will be directly involved in the law-making process. You will listen to your constituents, the people, to identify their concerns. Then you get to put on your thinking cap and come up with a way to resolve those concerns. Think about how rewarding it will be if you share those concerns with your people. Once you’ve identified the solution, you face the exciting challenge of drafting and proposing legislation designed to resolve the current issues people face today. Think about it. You are determining how the government governs. First, you’re a legislator, next, the President of the United States.
- Review or listen to the concerns of your constituents on a daily basis by reading emails, mailed letters and receiving telephone calls
- Listen to the concerns of your constituents by receiving them in your office via scheduled meetings or offsite visits
- Attend meetings with lobbying groups, business owners, legislators and other key political figures on a daily basis
- Review current laws and statutes to determine where stated concerns fall within existing legislation
- Research and write new legislation to address concerns if nothing is in place
- Attend scheduled governing body meetings to discuss current issues and propose new legislation on a scheduled basis
- Propose new laws and support the written legislation with evidence that they are necessary, including research, final studies results and legislative and constituent arguments during the scheduled governing body meetings
- Persuade fellow legislators to approve and enact proposed legislation during the scheduled governing body meetings and see approved legislation through to its confirmation
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least five years’ law-making experience
- Advanced listening and negotiating skills
- Advanced communications skills, including reading, speaking and writing
- Advanced research and problem-solving skills
- Previous legal experience
- Previous governing experience
- Experience using Legislative Automative Workflow System (LAWS)
Your legislator job description is unique in that the person who fills this dynamic position cannot only write laws that make a difference, but your ideal candidate may have dreams to work at the federal governing level some day. Make certain you give him or her opportunity to apply for your position, an important steppingstone, by advertising your opening across numerous mediums.
Expand your outreach through radio, television, newspaper and virtual notifications. Discuss this job opportunity on your social media applications and on the numerous governing forums, whether sponsored by the government itself or by the people. Don’t forget to take advantage of the free job postings offered by MightyRecruiter to reach hundreds of viable candidates.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter