Librarians work in a variety of education and business settings to assist other people in information searches. They are also responsible for organizing collections available for loan or research. They may work directly with the public or in a management capacity to procure, sort and store materials.
The skills portion of your librarian job description should detail the level of education, experience and qualifications of the position you are posting. You should also explain other needed skills, such as interpersonal communications, problem-solving and attention to detail. You may want to mention software or internet proficiency, if it is a requirement.
Some librarians work in public or private education with people of all ages, so they should be patient and considerate when helping others. An ideal candidate would need to have excellent reading comprehension. You can learn more about incorporating the position’s needs by following a librarian job description sample format.
Librarian Job Summary
Are you searching for a tenure-track position that allows you time to perform searches? Put your researching skills to use as a librarian for our respected university. The student body, professors, and administration need the support of a well-read, organized and eager librarian in our library system. We are an open-minded liberal arts school in need of a team player who values higher learning and brings a wealth of understanding about school libraries to our institution. You will have the opportunity to learn more about our school and student body while you curate and manage the collection of materials we have to help all our students reach their potential.
- Work with library department heads and directors to oversee and manage vast university collection of written and other forms of media
- Maintain databases and records concerning the movement as well as the location of library collection, including intradepartmental and student lending and retrieval
- Observe and implement administrative policies and procedures in accordance with university and library system standards on a daily basis
- Catalog new receipts and established collection as well as classifying and tracking media throughout campus on an as-needed basis
- Assist in research and retrieval of documents and materials for doctoral candidates as needed in advisory role for dissertation preparation
- Connect with student population and instructors about library resources, policies and other related duties when the opportunity presents itself
- Serve on departmental meeting team for administrative purposes on monthly basis to coordinate access and services
- Update records and prepare reports about library system for department heads to promote better communication school-wide
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Library Science or related field
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and reading comprehension
- Problem-solving and critical thinking as well as organizational skills
- Master’s degree in Library Science or related field
- Previous experience in university setting
- Proficiency in library software suites, databases and desktop publishing
Writing a great librarian job description does not matter if the right candidates do not see it. Take the time to craft an enticing post that attracts qualified people who would be a great addition to your organization. This key step can get your candidate search off to a great start, but getting your description noticed is just as important.
Be sure to utilize your website, social media and other sources to list this and other job openings to grab the attention of job seekers. You should consider the idea of free job postings on many online listing boards at one time with MightyRecruiter. It can save you time and money as you look for your next hire.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter