Library assistants help librarians with the different tasks of running a library. They organize books, magazines, reference articles and other library materials, assist with the patrons of the library and perform administrative tasks. Daily tasks may include reshelving books, cataloging materials, issuing new library cards, maintaining computer databases and organizing files.
Applicants who are eligible to be a library assistant should have certain specific qualities that you should include in your library assistant job description. Library assistants should be detail-oriented because of the organizing and cataloging processes. They should also know how to effectively use the computer and the library’s database.
Because some of their job entails working with the public, library assistants should have interpersonal skills and be able to communicate clearly. In order to make sure your library assistant job description contains these qualities and other important elements, take a look at the following example.
Library assistant Job Summary
Do you find yourself lost in novels or searching the world in non-fiction books? Do you love the smell of bookshelves and enjoy sharing stories with your friends and family? As a library assistant, you can combine all of these aspects in one role as you perform a variety of duties that maintain library technical support and user services. You will work closely with other friendly library assistants and will be supervised by the head librarian. Each day you will utilize your attention to detail and interpersonal skills to maintain clerical work and make friends with patrons as you help them find research materials, use the online catalog system and request items from an associated library. While we provide lots of freedom, guidance and advice is readily available when needed.
- Sort publications, books and other literary items and return them to their proper shelves and storage areas
- Locate library materials, including periodicals, books, magazines and electronic resources, and assist in the creation, routing, revision and approval of a variety of online documents
- Assist patrons when looking for reading or research materials, and instruct patrons in the use of computers, scanners and photocopiers
- Set up new accounts and issue library cards, and maintain library equipment in proper working order
- Maintain records of new and used items received, issued, stored and returned, and file according to library system
- Perform clerical duties, such as sorting mail, answering phones, filing, photocopying, word processing and mailing out letters, keep up regular communication with supervisors regarding changes, and seek streamline processes where appropriate
- Generate reports on a monthly basis
- Open and close library following normal business hours, secure library equipment and deal with problem or disruptive patrons, or refer them to the supervising librarian
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of three years periodical and serial experience
- Strong customer-service skills
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience with library software, such as automated circulation systems and cataloging software
- Spanish as a second language
Writing a strong library assistant job description is a good first start to finding the right employee. However, you need to post the job description in places where you will attract quality applicants. There is a number of different places where job seekers look for available positions. Placing the ad on your company’s website is one way to let people know you are hiring.
The best way to find high-quality applicants is to post the job where many people will see it. Social media sites such as LinkedIn and Facebook are great places, as are online job boards. However, it can be very time-consuming to post your job description on each one individually. MightyRecruiter is a great tool to post jobs for free to hundreds of boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter