Library technicians manage many of the day-to-day activities involved with running a library. They help patrons find what they are looking for, answer general questions, sort new and returned materials and shelve books and other media.
When creating your library technician job description, you may want to emphasize people skills as well as organizational and indexing skills. A successful library technician must be able to work well with the public, including people of all ages, abilities and educational backgrounds. Part of the role is focused on customer service and part of it on organization, cataloging and database maintenance.
Finding the right mix of interpersonal, organizational and technological skills is essential in choosing a good candidate for this position. To get an idea of what to include in your employment post, study the library technician job description below.
Library Technician Job Summary
Do you love books? Are you an organizer, a thinker and a tech-savvy people person? Come join us at the local library as a library technician. As a tech, you would work under the head librarian, shelving and cataloging materials as well as interacting with patrons to discover and fill their needs. This role provides an essential service to the local community and comes with perks like medical benefits, paid time off and fee waivers for meeting room rentals and other library services. The library technician job may also be a good fit for you if you enjoy public outreach, as we need someone to help develop ongoing community programs like story time and basic adult technology classes.
- Process, catalog, sort, shelve, discharge or file library materials on a daily basis
- Work as part of a close-knit team to regularly assist library patrons with basic research, technology support and location of materials
- Check out books and issue library cards while providing excellent customer service
- Train users, including patrons, volunteers and library staff, on library technology and equipment, including self-checkout kiosks, public computers, catalog database stations, audio-visual equipment, printers and copiers
- Update computer records when new materials are acquired or existing materials are lost or damaged, and coordinate interlibrary loan program
- Assist in planning and development of community outreach programs for youth and underserved populations
- Know what is new at the library, including newly released films, music, works of fiction and nonfiction, and make recommendations based on patrons’ interests and preferences
- Manage database and prepare quarterly reports, occasionally presenting findings at board meetings or to members of the community council
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma (or equivalent)
- Computer literacy
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- College-level coursework in library science
- Associate degree or higher
- One year or more of library experience (can be volunteer experience)
Now that you know how to write an effective library technician job description, your work has just begun. The next step is to get your job ad in front of the people who are most qualified and best suited to work with your organization. You can start by posting your ad on your library’s website and on any physical bulletin boards you may have. However, to widen the net, you will probably need to also post it on internet job boards and on social media.
Publishing your job opening on multiple job boards is a time-consuming endeavor, but the results may be just what you are looking for: a range of highly qualified applicants with diverse strengths and levels of experience. To minimize your time expenditure, let MightyRecruiter help you post jobs for free to hundreds of job boards all in one go.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter